Lathe Gear Cover

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

As part of the lathe restoration project I started here...

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/dro-mount-for-lathe-restoration.1397/

I converted it from a bench top to a cabinet model with countershaft under the lathe. There’s a lot of family history with the lathe. 60+ years ago, my Grandfather installed aftermarket quick change gear box instead of opting for the OE QCGB so the OE change gear cover/guards for cabinet models no longer completely covered the opening……..

1 Old Cover.JPG

……… so I decided to cast one to suit. Design-on-the-fly, a cardboard template translated to a couple pin router jigs.

2 Jigs.JPG

……and after a visit to my pin router three pieces popped out.

3 Parts.JPG

Glued them up and let them set up overnight

4 Glued Up.JPG

……and then some rough sanding and detailing

6 Glued Up.JPG
    5 Glued Up.JPG

Then removed what didn’t need to be there similar to the original.

7 Trimmed.JPG 8 Trimmed.JPG

….Test fit, looks good. It uses the same hinges as the OE guard.

9 Test Fit.JPG

Sprued. Thin walled parts can be a bit of a challenge so I ran large runners to the perimeter.

10 Sprued.JPG

Coated. The other challenge with larger thin walled lost foam parts is they’re fragile and since I dip coat, the parts are quite buoyant and it can be hard to submerge them without breaking them, so submerge what I can and use a cup and ladle on the coating…..but you still have to be able to handle it wet, when it is a lot heavier.

11 Coated.JPG

It's ready for metal. -More (hopefully success!) to come.

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    509Maker and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hmmm, this one should be fun...

3. Cool! Is the lettering by ball point pen?

How do you select your runner size?

4. Al2O3

I use a fine point sharpie permanent marker because it's what I have in my bench drawer. The solvent attacks the foam so is marks easily, but a ball point probably works just as well.

Andy, it's mostly casting weight and experience that guides me because in lost foam, it's the evaporation rate of the foam that paces runner and gate metal velocity, not runner or gate area and head pressure.

Now, I do occasionally visit the naturally pressurized sizing guidance for open cavity casting, but in my experience, thin walled lost foam castings always have long pour/fill times compared to similar parts in conventional open mold casting so they tend to fill independent of the size of the feed system. I've timed my pours on identical parts in my videos with radically different feed systems and really no difference in fill time, just time to evaporate pattern total per pound of the pour.

When you get to more massive foam patterns (higher volume/surface area ratio), that can change because the foam can evaporate in a hurry and the feed/gate system velocities can approach those in open cavity systems.

This is also why top feeding tends to work so well in lost foam because doing so in open cavity molds just allows the metal to turbulently tumble into the mold, whereas doing so in lost foam just lets the metal front sit on top of the gas/liquid interface with the foam pattern as it tranquilly consumes the foam pattern.

So, it's a windy way of saying lost foam is less/insensitive to feed system geometry. In fact, this is even evident in industry because there is no consensus on gating and feed system design and things like sprue tree and feed system are designed for strength for coating and pattern stability versus feed system geometry..........but I still strive to minimize the amount of foam in the feed system because it consumes energy from the melt.

Best,
    Kelly

5. Al2O3

Good weather for casting today so I got at it. Happy dance.

Here it is in the flask….

12 Cover in Flask.JPG

As Cast....

13 Cover as Cast.JPG

Degated and cleaned up.

14 Cover Degated.JPG 15 Cover Degated.JPG

The entire morning’s bounty.

16 Lathe Castings.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

6. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Outstanding Kelley, and the best explanation ever of the vaporization of of the pattern face.

Since you are changing things on the lathe, I am sold on DC drive for power. I am still able to switch pulley ratio, but it is so nice to just twist a dial and get exactly the speed I need for a particular cut. I can't remember the last time I opened the cabinet door and shifted a belt.

7. Al2O3

Thanks ESC, good to hear from you and hope you had a good holiday.

I hear ya on variable speed. I already have a 1/2hp 3 phase motor so I bought a VFD. I bought a digital tach for $10. Any reason you prefer DC to VFD AC?

Best,
    Kelly

8. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

No, except that the treadmills are free on Craigslist, and I can get a controller for $80 if I need to. I have the motors on the lathe, belt sander, drill press and reciprocating hammer.
    I have a VFD on the CNC Bridgeport and the downside there was that it somehow interfered with the Mach 3 controller and had to be moved to the left side of the mill away from the box.

That lettering turned out great, will have to keep that in mind.

9. That is a beautiful set of castings!, I expect in years to come they will confuse Craftsman lathe experts everywhere.

10. Al2O3

Thanks Mark. I'm having some fun.

I drilled and tapped a couple of holes and hung it on the lathe.

17 Mounted.JPG 18 Mounted.JPG 19 Mounted.JPG 20 Open.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

11. Beautiful job, Kelly!

Your eye for design is tremendous.

no cold water, but I see what appears to be a few defects where different feed systems joined. Any through cavities? It's not consequence in this part for sure anyway. I have had problems with what I think is cooled aluminum at the metal front creating defects. That was part of my feeder question. Long skinny feeders seem to chill off, so to me there must be a cross sectional area which should be maintained to preserve heat. I've about decided I want to use about 1 sq in, preferably square. Or round. Any thoughts?

Sheaves are cool. Do you put a center mark or only mark the diameter of future holes? I like to use a compass to draw circles if I don't use my circle cutting jig because the pin prick makes a perfect center for starting a drill bit.

12. Al2O3

You have a sharp eye OIF. No through defects just two small fold flaws as shown below.

21 Flaw.jpg

If I was going to have a flaw they're right where I'd expect them to be.......where all the converging metal fronts meet and probably the first part of the melt to leave the cup. They are off center away from the half round feature which drew more metal from the feed system. Sometimes, on can put a bob on the bottom of the casting and try to attract that first instance of melt which often has oxides that create folds.

Like above, I think the flaws are folds that result from the very initial part of the metal that reacts with the foam in open air in the cup. If you have a good idea of how the metal will travel, put a bob on the bottom of the part to train that initial melt into the bob......but that often takes some imagination. As far as runner size, I can feed a 10lb part that is 1/4" wall with some thicker sections, with a 1 inch diameter sprue (so~3/4 in2 compared to your 1 in2) I use 1.25" square sprue for up to 20lb pour.....these are 1/4" wall high surface area/volume parts. How you divide that into the runners can vary depending upon the part. Ideally, I try to feed the part so the molten metal doesn't have to travel more than 6-8" from a hot runner and this is usually 1450-1475F pour temp. If it gets to 12" or more, fails become more common if you don't up the pour temp or add vacuum assist. 1/2 ATM of vacuum will usually get you to 12" back at <1475F.......it's a lot of seat of the pants but it's been working for me.

I don't put a center mark in the pattern. In fact, on these pulleys, I have a 1/2" hole from the pin jig and I fill that hole with a foam plug so it is solid....if I don't they tend to wreak havoc with flaws. I'll grip a circular casting on the OD and then bore the shaft. I plan on doing that with these step pulleys, then press fit an arbor, chuck on the arbor and machine the grooves and faces. I need to put a dial on the casting to see how flat they are. I may have to push them around a little to get them flat enough to turn because <.060" material rich sounds like a lot but if you have a little run out on a 9" diameter part.....plus not flat.....not so much. The concentricity of round features produced by the pin jig are usually pretty good.........but not good enough to not require machining for most of my purposes.

What it really takes to make working machinery is often underappreciated......:rolleyes:

Best,
    Kelly

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    oldironfarmer likes this.
  13. Al2O3

If this was a structural or sealing part they'd probably spell trouble and need to be tigged. I suppose they could be filled with plastic, but I'll probably just leave them. Take a look at the swiss cheese on the iron headstock casting at the top left of the pulley speed chart........apparently I was just making the part period correct.....LMAO!

Best,
    Kelly

14. Hadn't noticed that cheese, Kelly! And that was American cast, I'm sure...

15. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Came out really well.