Lodge foundry tour

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Billy Elmore, Jul 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

2. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Nice movie Billy.

What furnace do you use?

Cheers Charlie

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

You’re right, very interesting. Thanks for posting it.
    BTW who’s the guy walking around the plant with the “Who Farted?” tee shirt? Hahahaha!

Pete

Billy Elmore likes this.
  4. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

You know what? I honestly am not 100% sure...I think I know but don't want to tell you wrong. I was dealing with so many issues during the transition of the new plant I never paid much attention to them. They were one of the few things that seemed to operate with no issues once we got them going. I will check tomorrow to make certain. I'm almost certain they are inductotherm though.

5. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Dude I had to watch this a couple of times now looking for that person but I didn't see them.lol I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Good help is hard to find!

6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Good video, Billy. I thought the slag grabber was interesting. I started out skimming slag. But a few months ago I started using my tongs to grab chunks/globs of slag and lift it out. That was better for grossly removing slag than skimming was and I finish up with a traditional skimmer. And in the last few weeks I’ve been adding unexpanded perlite as a coagulant to aid in slag removal. (It is kind of fun to watch it pop like popcorn and then goober together). Now I am inspired to make a wide bladed grabber to lift out coagulated slag. Seems like those little tweaks smooth out the process.

Denis

Billy Elmore likes this.
  7. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Very interesting, are they available in the UK?

8. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Yes..we ship internationally.

amber foundry likes this.
  9. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

2 million pans per month!

Best,
    Kelly

Billy Elmore likes this.
  10. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Probably just a little high on that number but not by too much. I dont know where they all go! Its not like they dont last a little while. Its crazy!

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

That's a very cool video. I checked out UK suppliers and I think they are reasonable prices, I may be cooking on one of your pans soon Billy!

Billy Elmore likes this.
  12. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Cool! I would say you will like it. Sometimes they need to be used a few times to really get a non-stick coating on them. I like to fry potatoes in mine a couple of times before I try anything that might stick...like eggs. I would suggest the BlackLock brand. The cost is a little higher but they are so much lighter and heat up faster while still retaining the heat like typical heavier cast iron. I use the 96 skillet more than anything else and love it. There is a down side to the thin castings...scrap is much higher than our normal cookware and they do sometimes get broken during shipping. If you receive it in one piece you will like it.LOL Fun fact...Our competitor went the other direction...extremely heavy...extremely pricey brass knobs and handles...machined bottoms that actually cause the skillets to stick much worse than a typical sand grain finish after seasoning..they did however do over a million in sales in 2018..so we bought them.

Clay and Tobho Mott like this.