Lost Wood castings - no, not a joke.

Discussion in 'Metal casting projects' started by dennis, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

This should be interesting. Did I miss where someone mentioned what sort of part is going to be cast?

Jeff

2. dennis

dennis Silver

Lathe dogs, mostly - and at least 3 "aircraft grade" silicon bronze bottle-openers.

The lathe dogs are for turning between centers. The dog attaches to the piece being turned to drive it.

dtsh and Tobho Mott like this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

Sorry about that jeff. I dont even own a lathe dog so this is a good chance for me and dennis. He knows what we want and is doing the patterns in balsa. I'll invest/pour and keep some. I've never turned between centers, but I'm sure my day will come.

dtsh and Tobho Mott like this.
  4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

No worries, I don't mind surprises...

I mostly already knew a lathe dog wasn't an actual dog with a job sort of like this guy's:

[​IMG]

Anyhow, these won't be the first bronze dogs to be poured at Jason's foundry. Good luck!

Jeff

5. dennis

dennis Silver

ARGH! A dog-mill!

6. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

I can understand the reason for the tread-mill being so high, you don't want the dog just jumping out whenever he/she felt like it. But after a while, that dog had to know what was coming when it got picked up. I suppose if Momma carved off a little slice every now and then and fed it to the dog... that MIGHT make a difference.

Don

7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's a cat mill...

dennis likes this.
  8. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I've heard reports of dogs which would readily get into the wheel themselves unprompted. I have one who would be a great engine for a device needing an intense amount of energy.

Lathe dogs; however, are quite handy.

9. dennis

dennis Silver

At least it isn't a (fictional) goat-mill - which is used in Valley foundries to powder things like coal, parting powder, and blacking.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Damn that was fast! Media mail is kicking FedEx's ass these days!
    16154136041063784921871524686607.jpg

dennis and Tobho Mott like this.
  11. dennis

dennis Silver

Yup. That *is* The book that got me interested in metal stuff, including lost wax.

Further progress:

20210311_090916.jpg

(Cue Curly noises...)

12. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Hmmm....balsa....now that is something I am familiar with and have plenty of stock of....keep us posted on how it goes!

dennis likes this.
  13. dennis

dennis Silver

Have secured smelly (lacquer-based) wood filler.

Bike was thefted (stolen) last Saturday morning while getting groceries, so getting supplies in general is now (much!) more time consuming and exhausting.

Next is to get more balsa, and try to draw these things up in detail.

Oh, and get the rest of the way ready for a needed train-trip to visit an aged parent as per his request.

14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

One of my pet hates is this kinda scum. Hope you get sorted out with something else

15. dennis

dennis Silver

I will, in time. Note that I need something capable, so it will not be quick (nor cheap) to replace.

I had ~ 3k in the bike - large battery, etc - so the new one will be *at least* as much.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

The lack of respect for someone else's property here in America is disgusting. Sorry you lost your ride. Nothing worse than a thief!

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

It's not just over there Jason but I won't reduce the thread into a rant about thieving scum.

dennis likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

I lived in Germany in the 90s.. You could leave the keys in your car and it would be there the next day. By 2003, those days were long gone.:( I always admired my german neighbors because I could trust them.

19. dennis

dennis Silver

True. I'd gone to this store before several times in the wee hours of the morning - helps with sensory overload. It did not seem to be in too bad an area. I did have a lock and chain on it. That's usually enough to make thieves go elsewhere. It had done so for a long time - years.

This wasn't the usual for thieves - said wretch cut the chain.

Thefted_3-13-2021.jpg

I've begun getting the stuff needed for a replacement. (Won't happen before next spring.) Item one is a much stouter chain - supposedly impervious to bolt cutters - and a stiff lock. Cost = 179.99. Weight = good enough for weight training.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Billy Elmore and Tobho Mott like this.
  20. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Man....bummer! I hate a damn thief!