Low effort furnace.

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Ironsides, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I came across this video showing a furnace that was made from fire bricks stacked up from the floor. If you were only going to use this furnace once or twice a year it would make sense not to go to all the trouble to build a proper furnace. I also like his idea of using the lift out tongs to pour as well as lift the crucible out.

Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

FINALLY! Someone using the word SMELT correctly! Nice melt. Gold... purdy!

3. OMM

OMM Silver

That was a pretty cool gold melt. It would've been a lot cooler if there wasn't all the pitting. I'm a little interested in what he got for value.

4. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

So if I smelt my swarf, it also turns to gold? :)

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Say that one 3 times fast. Smelt my swarf, smelt my swarf, smelt my swarf... Ya can't do it without smiling.

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Dont let anyone hear you doin it. They'll put you away!

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I get the point of the OP. The principles are really pretty basic.
    The wisdom involved in the subject of the video might be a different matter....

Pete

8. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

He's not smelting, just melting gold flake.
    Have you noticed on Gold Rush they are using Devil Forge furnaces to make ingots out of their booty.

9. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I looked up as to what smelt means, To heat up a metal ore to change it to a metal. So what the video showed was dirty gold being melted with flux to clean the metal.

10. metallab

metallab Silver

Smelting = reducing a metal from its ore.
    Melting = transition a solid metal (or any meltable substance) to a liquid

Jason and The Desert Yeti like this.
  11. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Copper

I had a big plate of fried Smelt for supper.

dennis likes this.
  12. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Whoever smelt it dealt it! :D

K

13. Chazza

Chazza Silver

His furnace design is much the same as mine, except mine has an angle-iron frame securing the walls and the lid. The burner on mine is bolted underneath and originally heated a cast-iron plumbers pot and nowadays a crucible.

This a good cheap way to make a furnace for beginners, especially if melting aluminium. Disadvantage is no swirl around a circular pot, or crucible, when the walls are square,

Cheers Charlie

14. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

It always amazes me that the persons who melt gold make a low effort furnace and most people here melt low value metals make very elaborate furnaces. Have a look at the video at the 1:49 mark.

Bldr J likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

This is how it works. My brother in law uses a 10buck crucible and a torch.