Machining a lathe face plate from a home foundry iron casting.

Discussion in 'Metal casting projects' started by Rotarysmp, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

The face plate for my Boley 4LV is now finished.

P1031072.JPG

P1031073.JPG

P1031074.JPG

I also made a video of the machining.

Mark

Gippeto, Jason, OMM and 2 others like this.
  2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Wow, very very nice work start to finish.

Denis

3. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Thanks Denis. Getting a decent iron casting has been a long path for me.
    Mark

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Very nice Mark. I'm sure anyone would be delighted to have that in their tooling inventory.

Best,
    Kelly

5. Melterskelter

You think the fact that it took you a while makes you special?!:cool: I think most of us have found the trip a bit labor intensive. But that is one nice casting you made. I'd like to see you put your name on the pattern so that future castings won't be mysteries as to their origin. It is too nice for "Anonymous"

Denis

6. _Jason

_Jason Silver

Well done sir!

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Saved for later use. I need to make a face plate for my 4 jaw.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Great work Mark! I love it when we can go from scrap to a useful tool or part all in house. But unless you pour iron on your balls or set fire to your cat, the zombies on youtube dont care.

9. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Maybe if I throw my furnace off a 45mm platform onto a trampoline, it'll go viral.

10. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

You might have to drop it from a little higher than 45mm... :D (but I wouldn't)

Great job!

Jeff

11. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Thanks Jeff.

Thats why my career as a Vlogger who throws shit of a platform hasn't got traction. The platform was too low!

>> 18 million views?

Humanity is doomed. Turns out this was a documentary...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

:)
    Mark

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Precisely! Dad was right, there is no cure for dumbass!

13. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

A guy I used to work for built a system to test windshields. The standard test was done in a drop tower with a 3" steel ball bearing. They would start at some height and keep raising the height until it breaks. Two problems, lots of work taking that 4 lb ball up a tower that could easily be 30' high over and over with small distance changes. Sometimes the starting drop broke the window so you didn't know how bad it really was. His solution was pair of coils under the glass that detected the ball. They simply dropped the known weight ball from the very top of the tower guaranteeing a break and coils measured the change in velocity of the ball hence directly indicating the force required in just one test. Genius!

14. Melterskelter

Rotary,

Can you tell us a little about the construction of your pattern?

Denis

15. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Took me a while to find the Photos of the pattern. Still cant find the CAD files. Basically I modelled the pattern in CAD, and because it was too big for my 3D printer, I chopped it down to 1/3, using jigsaw puzzle like cuts.
    IMG_0154.JPG

Printed it three times, clicked them together and glued it to the base board.

IMG_0157.JPG
    A bunch of car body filler and paint work later, it was a pattern.

It has core prints on each side, for a simple cylindrical sand core.
    IMG_0158.JPG
    The Core mould is made with flexures so that you just close it with a tie wrap, ram it, and then cut the tie wrap and can easily open it fto release the core.
    IMG_0156.JPG

I used a baked core sand receipe with sugar water as binder.
    Mark

Melterskelter likes this.
  16. Melterskelter

Thanks for the interesting report. Good thing this thread did not get so far off the rails as to miss out on a very nice piece of information. Again well done.

Denis

17. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Great to see you finally had a win when melting iron. When that happens so many other projects will come to mind you will need a larger supply of iron.

Tobho Mott and _Jason like this.