Match Plate Vibrator

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by Tobho Mott, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Fulmen, mine didn't do much for a big lost foam bucket of sand when I tried it. But I just sat the bucket on it, maybe if I had bolted it on or something. Kelly has the bucket-vibe tech all sewn up, check out how he does it.

Oldironfarmer, maybe I'll try adding a second BB and see what happens! :D

Jeff

2. Fulmen

Fulmen Silver

After drawing a bit I kinda get the design. It's extremely forgiving, the ball can be almost any size that will fit. With a cylinder a closer fit would probably be better.
    And thanks for the pointer, Kelly's trolley solution is pretty much what I had in mind. The wheels should also help decoupling the bucket from the ground, especially if the vibrator is placed horizontally.

3. dennis

dennis Silver

Yes, though mine is about 15-20 years old. There's an expensive, all metal one that uses metal tape that seems made for foundry use, but I'm not sure if those are still sold.

Just checked - they do. Called a Rhino, mod. 1011 Embosser. Uses aluminum and stainless steel tape. Costs upward of 170$ at Amazon.

Oh, Man. I gots the "I-want-ums" bad for this thing!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Sounds cool, but the plastic tape version works well enough for me at that price!
    Jeff

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Match plate vibrators can/should be lower energy than Lost Foam flask vibrator, enough to release but not excessively damage or change the dimensions of the pattern in the mold.

For Lost Foam, it depends on the mass of the Lost Foam flask you are vibrating. A 5 gal bucket full of sand will weigh 50-60lbs. I use pneumatic turbine vibrators and the "G25" size commonly available on ebay. One of those seems to be adequate for a 5 gal flask/bucket, but they are air pigs. I have lot's of compressed air so not a concern for me. It helps if the flask is on an unstable surface. I suspend it on springs and you don't need as much energy to excite larger masses. An eccentric weight on a motor shaft is very effective and much more energy efficient....just be careful you don't through it off the shaft .....dangerous projectile.

My lost foam molding rig is here. More info on vibrators in that thread.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/my-new-lost-foam-casting-rig.516/#post-24052

Best,
    Kelly

Tobho Mott likes this.