Melt time

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Sawyer massey, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

I have a 22 gallon drum for a furnace
    Bottom 2/3 around 12" up lined with Mizzou 5000
    2"kowool coated with 5000 degree ceramick for the rest
    An another 1" around all the outside
    I use Diesel fuel 1galoon a minute syphon
    And a shop vacuum for forced air
    It takes me 3 hours from cold to let 40lb of iron
    Is that about right ?
    Thanks
    Todd

2. There was another thread around here discussing this exact topic, I posted some furnace brochures. When I had my furnace tuned right I had 15Kg (32 lbs) just barely liquid in 40 minutes but I was burning 50% more fuel. I'll add the other link here when I find it.

Edit 1:
    Here's the discussion: A Morgan furnace is melting 20KG (43Lbs) in 50 minutes with oil-
    https://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/commercial-oil-gas-furnace-brochure.987/

Edit 2: Ok so I took 62 minutes from lighting the fire to 15KG (32 Lbs) of iron poured in the mold and furnace shut down.
    https://forums.thehomefoundry.org/i...rnace-swirl-experiments.855/page-2#post-20576

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I can melt 40 pounds in about 45 minutes using about 8 liters of fuel if my furnace is tuned correctly. If I have a big flame out the top or no flame at all, it can take 2 to 3 hours. What I am saying is that tuning your furnace is key and learning to tune it takes time. As stated above, there have been many threads on tuning furnaces to run efficiently.

Denis

4. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

Well that furnace is shit lol
    The mizou held up great next one will be cement refractory for the first 1/3 ceramic blanket for the rest and raped withe 2inches
    Of ceramic blanket over the hole thing
    Forcing it alitte hard trying to hit the 20lb in 20 minutes lol still ended up with 40 in 90
    That's the remained of a 22galon drum

Attached Files:

5. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

exactly what refractory did you get ? and where did you source it? because Mizzou is pretty much bomb proof , unless you mix it or cure it badly

V/r HT1

6. So what happened to you furnace? Did the metal burn up?

7. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

I did use Mizzou and yes it did not touch It.butvi only use it for the bottom and the first 2/3 around and 8inches up where the ceramic blanket father's at 2600 coated with 5000 degree coating is where the hole started
    I had another rap around the Drumm it was fine to so my badly designed furnace showed tits week spot ......can't get Mizzou right now seams everyone is out of stock bit still going cement rated at 3000 for all the
    bottom up 14inches blanket was fine after that point lol .....live and learn

Billy Elmore likes this.
  8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Did you try Smelko Foundry Products in Milton ON (it's about 3 hours shorter drive for you than it is for me)? If they don't have Mizzou, they should have something equivalent.

Jeff

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Does it sound like a jet engine roaring when it's running?????

Jimmymmm likes this.
  10. Never wrap the outside of a furnace with insulation. It raises the metal temperature and can cause failure. If you're running at 2,000F and half your insulation is outside then the metal will be at 1,000F. I really can't see any good reason to insulate outside of a furnace.

11. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

Yes it does
    That one was my bad in oh so many ways lol

12. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm no iron melter, but what happened to the ol standard 2inches of wool on the walls and an honest inch of mizzou as the face? From there it's all tuning. That's what I have and I bet if I up the fuel flow and add a bit more air, it would easily melt iron. FWIW, the outside on my furnace is 300degrees while running.

What size was your exhaust hole??

13. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

Exhaust hole as ....still is 4 I tried to cheap out and use Mizzou only on the bottom for a flame wall and coated the ceramic with 5000 degree itt.....flame got behind it ..still poured 40 lb of iron that day ..was just wondering why it was hotter the usual standing next to it ......was the hole ....moral of the story ......don't cheap out lol

Jason likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

4inches is a great size for an exhaust hole. Not to worry, you'll rebuild and do it right the next time. As they say, Time, Money, Quality>>>>> Pick two!;)

Sawyer massey likes this.
  15. metallab

metallab Silver

The problem with Mizzou is that it soaks heat. So when using Mizzou, line it with Kaowool on the inside to insulate the highest temperatures. I thought Mizzou is primarily for the lining of ladles or tundishes in the steel industry.

16. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Now that is a new application of wool and Mizzou. Never heard of it. Have you done that yourself or seen it in action? How has it worked for you?

I’ve only used it or heard of it used just the opposite—-dense refractory inside as a hot face and wool outside the dense stuff.

Denis

Bldr J, rocco and Tobho Mott like this.
  17. metallab

metallab Silver

You are right. Kaowool OUTside and Mizzou INside. My furnace is built that way, a smaller furnace I already had made from Mizzou I put it inside Kaowool.

Here photos when I built it in summer 2018.

https://www.metallab.net/barrelfurnace.php