My Osborn Sand Molding Machine

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Patrick-C, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

P1050614.JPG P1050615.JPG P1050617.JPG P1050619.JPG P1050631.JPG I used the machine to make all of the molds for these copper caps.

Patrick

Tops, Tobho Mott and Petee716 like this.
  2. rocco

rocco Silver

Those look great! What are they for?

3. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

They are caps for cocktail glasses, that go on mechanical cocktail shakers. And the dimples in the top are for a clap to hold them on.

Patrick

4. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

That is a WOW, very nice

Patrick-C likes this.
  5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

6. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Pics of all but the tongs, took the pic but forgot to save it in the image gallery, I guess I'll post it later. IMG_20230130_071454.jpg IMG_20230130_071228.jpg IMG_20230130_073229.jpg IMG_20230130_071454.jpg IMG_20230130_071228.jpg IMG_20230130_073229.jpg IMG_20230130_073346.jpg IMG_20230130_073346.jpg IMG_20230130_071454.jpg IMG_20230130_071228.jpg IMG_20230130_073229.jpg IMG_20230130_073346.jpg

Tops likes this.
  7. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

The blower is stored inside the shop,
    sorry about the 2 pics of the furnace man, That pic is to show the size of the 300, also a homemade furnace. I have 2, fired with propane, forced air. we can get 275 pounds aluminum,
    ready to pour in 30 minutes off one furnace...total with both, a capacity of 3000 pounds a day, 8 hour shift.

you will see bricks lining the smaller furnace, I burned up the original lining, I had bricks that came out of an iron foundry and figured they wouldn't burn up, ain't pretty but works well.
    Also, the small pot needs a new lid, that is no problem, I have a form for making a new lid. Give that to you also.

8. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Just noticed, you can see part of the tongs to the left of the furnace..

9. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Now that is a nice setup! But here is where I look like an ass. So I did some research and the trip just one way is 2325 miles. And for me, that is a long way and very costly. So what I am saying is that I cannot come and get that beauty. I would personally love to drive down there and get a tour and learn some things as well as pick up the furnace and accessories. I am really sorry that I can't. I hope you can understand. I am located in north Idaho for reference.

Patrick

10. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Yes that is a long way. Cheaper to build the furnace. The tongs and shanks are a different matter. Blacksmith or a fab man could make those.

11. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

I weld and blacksmith so that is not too bad I just don't want to seem ungrateful.

Patrick

12. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Oh no!! not that at all. It really is a long way. I did not know where you are, and the thought was that I was hoping you wouldn't be too far. .Freight on this stuff would be a monster.

13. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Yeah, it is too bad but a little impractical. I will start a thread when I start building a big one. There might be other foundrymen closer I don't know but you could check the map.

Patrick

14. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Truth here, that 30 pot will work your butt off. For brass you need 2 men. When full of brass that pot is heavy and the only practical way to pour is straight out of the pot.
    So, if you have to have lifting capacity it makes sense to go with a larger pot. Like maybe a 90. a lot of jobbing brass shops use 90's Only have to lift 300 pounds.
    really no big deal to run a short heat.
    A rail with a hoist with tongs attached to pull the pot, move down the rail set the pot into the shank, switch from tongs to shank pour out of the pot...Put the molds on roller line
    that is set up behind your squeezer (no bending!! always a plus) Easy to pour.
    I just remembered I have Tongs and a shank set up for just that purpose. I use those tongs to pull my 300's out when I change crucibles or clean the furnace.
    I get some pics of them on here if you want.
    Forgot to mention, with that overhead set-up, you can handle all by yourself, tricky but it can be done.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  15. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Wow, I like what you are saying! Any pictures would be great. I also have 3 brothers that could help so that is nice. But I do have a question, where does one find a 90 pot?

Patrick

16. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Good Morning Patrick,
    My vendors are east coast.
    Thinking out ;oud here....Fosco, Vesuvius are coming out of Mexico. I am not a big fan of Morgan. But really best price is the way to buy silicon carbide crucibles.
    They all last about the same...
    I can put you on to some east coast suppliers but the pot will cost the same whether you are in Alabama or Idaho , shipping will drive you to seek a west coast supplier.
    I may have a buyers guide laying around somewhere...That would be, 'Foundry, Management and Technology' or 'Modern Casting' other kids read comic books, I read 'Management and Technology'
    It has changed through the years, Women editor and rather left leaning ideas, I have never in my life seen a foundry run successfully by a woman. I have seen several women take over a successful shop and in just a couple years bankrupt them. The point is process control is critical, but has to be balanced against the bottom line, you must make money. They just don't seem to get the productivity part, and don't seem to grasp what men are capable of.. So I suggest pay attention to the articles, the science is good, but take their setups with a grain of salt.
    anyway.... let me see if I can find you a buyers guide..
    have a great day Patrick

17. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

So I did a search for silicon carbide crucibles and I found that Mifco carries them and they have a distributor in Washington(state next door) so I will have to call to see what they have. On Mifco's website, they have #90s, #70s, and #150s each holding their number in aluminum. They may have more but I have looked through everything yet.

I will look them up. Thank you, Ben, you have a great day too.

Patrick

18. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

I found a Modern Casting Suppliers Directory. If you want it I can send it to you.

Patrick-C likes this.
  19. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Absolutely that would be great! Thank you.

Patrick