New man cave!!!!

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Jan 26, 2018.

1. If your shop will be used anything like my shop, I would start the smallest one first. I leave my air on, and a small compressor would handle small loads. Then when the small one can't keep up, start the largest one and keep the intermediate in reserve for heaviest usage. Largest starting second just seems right to me, but I can't justify it. I guess it also depends on the age and expected life of each compressor. In my shop I could not start all three at once anyway without too much voltage dip.

2. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Thanks Oldironfarmer! After some thought I had just about decided to do it that way. 90% of the time a small compressor would work very well so why put the time on larger lighter built compressors and motors?
    Right now all I have hooked up is 1 farm harbor supply depot, 5Hp motor and compressor on the 60 gallon tank in very good 25 year old condition. This compressor now turns on at around 100 psi and off at around 110 psi.
    I could reset this one to around 85 psi on 100 psi off.
    In a storage shed I have its off brand twin without a motor. “But” I have a 5 Hp 1.15 service factor motor. Unfortunately it has a different mount and will not easily be bolted up.
    Making a new mount wont be all that difficult but it is something in the ever growing spring list.
    I could set this one up for 100 psi off 70 on
    The last one in the “ It worked when I put it there back in 19?? Is a 20 gallon 400psi certified
    air tank with a nice 2?-3? hp motor on it . This was in a factory back around 1985.
    If it is still in good shape. It would be the one to use for the last 20 psi.
    Probably set it up for 120 psi off 100 psi on.
    I think it is the best built of the lot. It is built heavy and will take more start stop cycles without damage than the larger 5 hp compressors.. I could easily step the drive pulley ratio down if the motor gets to hot under load.
    I will put a regulator set to 100 psi in the line feeding the shop.
    The pressure will drop lower than the regulator set value if more air than the smaller compressor can supply is used. The regulator will act as a pressure buffer on the high end
    Power is not a problem. I have a 200 amp panel on the other side of the wall in the room where the compressor will go. I puled and hooked up some number 6 wire to a 20 amp breaker.
    I will be putting in a 50 sub box for the compressors so I just am using the wire for the sub for now.
    David
    The garden is looking very nice. Believe me, I do understand that when you are working there is not enough time in the day. I don’t have that excuse any more. On some days I can work all day and accomplish just about nothing. On other days I can do very little and accomplish something significant. Go figure.
    You will never regret your going to LEDS I love the ones I put up and have had very little problems with them. The only 2 things that has happened with mine is. I have an uneven sealing. The lights would pull apart at the but joints turning off the remainder of the string. When this happened I glued the connection back in place with a bit of R.V.
    The other thing was. The cheep clips that holds the light up would occasionally come lose and the lights would sag. I wrapped a very thin wire around the light and clip.
    Joe

3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

David,
    The old timers rule of thumb, don't plant your corn until the oak leaves are the size of mouse ears.
    Three seeds per hill, one for the crow, one for the coon, one for you.

Redwolf947 and oldironfarmer like this.
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Always seem to be making more work for myself.....
    20190528_120008.jpg 20190528_124837.jpg 20190528_125333.jpg 20190528_124628.jpg

5. Are you becoming a vintner?

6. Jason

Jason Gold

I hope I can be his taste tester... But I think by the time the wine is fine, David and I will be wearing depends!:(

7. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Discount prices for your foundry "FAMILY" ?
    Cheaper by the gallon?

Edit:
    Those fence posts look good, but you better take care of that big weed growing next to one. :)
    LOL, I know what it is.

8. DavidF

Time will tell... I had been researching for awhile trying to figure out what crop could generate a few bucks off the back 3 acres (and cannabis @ 1.2 million an acre isnt legal here yet) So next few up were strawberries, potatoes, grapes and hops. Turns out my property is perfect for planting grapes :D Still sorting out the varieties I want to plant, right now im putting in a couple of hybrids -Enchantment, Brianna, and a noble Shiraz along with a root stock plant for grafting onto and making new vines.

Thats Enchantment, a pretty interesting hybrid with strong vinifera parentage. No one around in my area is growing it so figured id try it.... Planted the dormant vine on Friday and have bud break all ready :p

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Sign me up for the first case.
    Hurry up, all this grape talk is making me thirsty.

10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I see you got an auger for your tractor. Did it come with it? How's that beast treating you anyways?

I live and grew up in Concord grape country. There's a certain sweet smell around here in the late summer that's kinda nice (as opposed to the manure spreaders in the spring). A lot of kids in my generation spent their summers tying grape vines over their summer vacations. They don't want to do that anymore.
    The grape farmers around here are hard to please: too wet this year, too dry this year, too cold this year, etc, etc. It's all about yield and sugar content and what Welchs what's to pay.

The lawn looks nice.

Pete

11. DavidF

Its a really good tractor for what I paid for it. Had a couple issues when I first got it, needed a throttle cable and the starter died in a month. New factory starter was $450.00 but I bought one for a dodge cummings and turned down the snout on it to fit. Cost like 136.00 and its a gear reduction starter, much better than the stock one. Also had to re "o" ring the hydraulic pump. The tractor only has 500 hours on it but did alot of sitting.
    It came with a 6' brush hog and the post hole digger, then I bought a rototiller attachment for it.

Should have seen it when we first bought the place, hadnt been mowed in years...

20180504_130108.jpg

Attached Files:

12. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What's the story on the truck?

K

13. DavidF

Accidental post... When I was in KY a couple years ago a guy backed out of a parking spot into it and drove it back into the curb so hard that it shifted the rear axle around as well as the damage you see in the front.
    When I saw it all I could think of is "how the F did you manage to do that?" He was parked 45' to the left of the truck and maybe 5 spaces in front of it. Had to jump the curb and theen pass between two cars in reverse while making a semi circle backwards.....

14. DavidF

Only another 560 posts to go :rolleyes:
    Will be over the course of a few years, hope to get at least 4 rows in this year so I can plant them next year. Managed to get the trellis wire up but still need to add the drip irrigation system. Might not need it this year, been raining every couple of days.
    Here is one week of growth on the enchantment vine...
    20190530_125743.jpg 20190601_182126.jpg

15. So, I'm not the only farmer here anymore?

IMG_5148.JPG

joe yard likes this.
  16. DavidF

Hey I didnt know you had goats ;)
    Here's my herd..
    20190529_115230.jpg

17. Jason

Jason Gold

If Both of you guys have goats, I need to get my eyes checked!

18. Mine's a Chevelle, not a Goat.

IMG_0415.JPG

19. Jason

Jason Gold

How'd you get to keep that OK tag? They made me get the SJW approved new one.:rolleyes:

20. It's an old picture.