New Member From Australia

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Wayne Hall, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Stuart. W

Stuart. W Copper

Mine was 8 kgs of brass 2 kgs of Aluminium

2. Wayne Hall

Wayne Hall Copper

3. Yeah nah nah nah.... those fail after about ten melts or so, stick to name brand stuff like Vesuvius and Morgan as it's a false economy and dangerous to boot. This is my Chinese cheapo after ten melts and is cracking like crazy with the surface graphite burning out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dtsh and Wayne Hall like this.
  4. Wayne Hall

Wayne Hall Copper

Thanks mate. I contacted Vesuvius and Morgan but they weren't able to help with a #8 or #10 size crucible. I'm waiting to hear back from Skamol.

5. Skamol sell the Morgan brand crucibles, they get shipments in from time to time so the stock levels vary. If you're not melting iron then a silicon carbide crucible can be more durable than a clay graphite. They just have a lower temperature limit but are more durable, so keep your options open.

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I'm with Mark. Crucible failure was a "hot" topic with both of us last summer. The cheap ones will get you out of the gate and will last awhile with aluminum service but your better off with known brands. Plus, you might need to change your lifting and pouring tools to fit a new type or brand. Better to wait.

Pete

7. Wayne Hall

Wayne Hall Copper

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help

8. Stuart. W

Stuart. W Copper

Not the one I bought but similar If you get one make sure you bake it in the oven for a few hours I started mine at 150⁰ every 25 minutes raised it 100⁰ till it got to 250 then left for an hour done 50 melts al

Wayne Hall likes this.