New member from SE Wisconsin

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Redwolf947, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

Hi all, I've always loved watching the black smiths at the reenactments I used to go to growing up. I found Oldironfarmer on Garage Journal and have been enthralled with what he does. I'm here to learn what I can so I can hopefully do the same. I would love to have a small foundry for mostly aluminum maybe zinc or pot metal as well.. Maybe a gas forge so I can make tools for the foundry.. So thanks for having me and I look forward to learning...

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcone to the forum redwolf.

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome. Looking forward to your future foundry equipment builds and castings.

Best,
    Kelly

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Good to have you.
    Grab a burner and start melting stuff.
    There are some great casting folks here.

5. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Welcome redwolf947, nice to see another from WI

6. Glad to see you over here. Welcome to The Home Foundry.

There are some really sharp guys here.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Oldironfarmer???? Never heard of him! :p
    Welcome aboard, now get to work and give us some photos. We live for photos around here.

8. Oh yeah, I forgot Jason.

Some really sharp guys and Jason.:p:p:p

9. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

Ha, I'm still learning what I'll need.. Photos will come in time.. I usually get to excited and I forget to take any. My other 'issue' is my foundry will be 4 hours away in Da U.P.!! I'll most likely be building everything down here including any patterns and whatnot.. Thank you for the warm welcome!!

10. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Welcome Redwolf!
    You have found the right place with a lot of knowledgeable guys willing to help. I to am new in that I have not cast in up on 20 years but still anxious to start up again. We will be following a lot of the same paths as I am starting over from scratch with a new furnace that is almost completed along with some of the stuff needed for casting. I also have a long way to go.
    If you build you a furnace just a bit bigger than what you would think you need without going to extremes. Use a commercial refractory and use a proven design. You can not go wrong. A lot of the guys are building around a number 10 crucible for all around casting with others building larger or smaller depending on personal needs.
    I have built mine around a keg that will hold a No.10 at most. It has a OD of 16.5 inches and although not quite completed. I already wishing I had used a 35 gallon drum or similar with a diameter of around 20 inches. A 55 gallon drum has a diameter of 22 inches. You can see my build. Another keg furnace along with some other very nice builds in the forum. Furnaces and there construction.
    Best of luck and send pictures!
    Joe

oldironfarmer and Jason like this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Well said Joe. My sentiments EXACTLY!

oldironfarmer likes this.
  12. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

Thanks guys.. I won't probably get too far until after May/April when it warms up. I'm also keeping an eye out for a 55gal drum to cut down or a 30gal. I posted about an lp tank on the building a furnace area of the site as well.. I'm hoping in the near future to move into an automation role at work. I could see this hobby helping make custom parts.. hurmm.. ...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  13. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

Ok dumb question but where should I purchase equipment as in a crucible? (I'm a prime member):rolleyes:.. I see a #8 graphite for $40ish on amazon.. Is that a decent price? Do I want graphite or something else? I'd like to get something to see what I can come up with. Thanks guys!:)

14. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I use Morgan Salamander Super clay graphite crucibles for everything, and they offer good service, even with iron.
    I get them from ebay.
    Follow the first use instructions to temper them before first use.
    Don't jam the scrap metal in tight since it expands with it gets hot.

15. joe yard

joe yard Silver

A number 8 is a nice size crucible if that is the size you have chosen,
    I looked on Amazon. Is this the one you are referring to?

OTOOLWORLD 10KG Clay Graphite Crucible Foundry Cup Furnace Torch Melting Casting Refining Gold Silver Copper Brass Aluminum Lead Zinc and Alloys
    by OTOOLWORLD
    Be the first to review this item
    Price: $39.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

If so if it were me I would probably not buy this one, It is a no name with no reviews. That could be trouble. It is a crap shoot and you don’t want to have a crucible full of hot metal fail.
    If it was me and I was going to spend $40 I would spend 50 and buy this one.

PROCAST
    #8 10 Kg Foundry Clay Graphite Crucibles Cup Furnace Torch Melting Casting Refining Gold Silver Copper Brass Aluminum
    by PMC Supplies LLC
    $48.95 & FREE Shipping

The Procast name is highly respected and has good reviews.

I bought one of off of Epay
    12# Silicon Carbide Graphite Crucible Melting Furnace Refining Gold Silver
    Item Information
    Condition:
    New without tags

“Foundry Silicon Carbide Graphite Crucibles Cup Furnace Torch Melting Casting Refining Gold Silver ” ... Read more
    Size: No. 12
    Quantity:
    5 available / 69 sold
    Price:
    US $31.98
    I thought I would take a chance for $32 on a number 12.
    The bad part is a China made No.12 and an American No.12 are vastly different animals.
    What I got was as close as I can match it on a standard chart would be around a number 7 ½.
    It looks good but the old saying. You get what you pay for holds true.
    Joe

Pat beat me to the post Morgan's are also great crucibles.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

17. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Welcome, Redwolf.

Working remote from your shop/home has its challenges. My foundry is only 15 mins away, but I still have been frustrated by occasionally forgetting to take important bits of gear out to the site. Checklists can help on that score.

I’d also do your best to duplicate some commonly used tools like drills, grinders, screw drivers, sockets, a small bandsaw or tablesaw as modifications to patterns and equipment come up constantly. I frequent the local used tool donation/resale sites buying tools that are maybe not best quality but can fill the bill and save my sanity in emergencies at the foundry and reduce the stuff that needs to be hauled back and forth.

I agree that jetstools has been a good site for Morgan Super Salamander crucibles.

I am looking forward to following your progress and learning from you.

Denis

18. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

This is the one I was thinking, I mis quoted the price:rolleyes:..

PROCAST
    #8 10 Kg Foundry Clay Graphite Crucibles Cup Furnace Torch Melting Casting Refining Gold Silver Copper Brass Aluminum
    by PMC Supplies LLC
    $48.95 & FREE Shipping

I will look at all the other suggestions and I thank you all for those suggestions!! I hadn't really decided on a size I thought an 8 would be best to start.. but I think I'd build a furnace for a 10..

It figures about American sizes compared to other countries.. I will keep that in mind and pay attention to the listed dimensions..

Again thanks guys!;)

19. For reference, I've been using a #6 for my copper and iron pours. I comfortably get 14# of copper in a #6. I've not yet cast anything which needed more metal. I'm not suggesting that size, just know it's tough when you're starting. And, if you do much casting, you'll soon need another unless you stick to one metal. It's best to not mix uses of a crucible.

20. Redwolf947

Redwolf947 Copper

Good to know, thank you Andy!. :) .. I have a feeling I'll probably stick with aluminum as I have a relatively good supply. Not a huge supply but some old transmission housings a large crop of crushed cans :rolleyes: and some various scrap pieces of 80-20 from work:p. :D