New UK Member

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by KDM, Feb 12, 2021.

1. KDM

KDM Copper

Hi.

Many thanks to @KC M@ for putting the word in. Many thanks for @myfordboy for posing KC M' email address!! What a struggle to get authenticated. Do admins know why some folk don't receive the authentication message? It wasn't in my spam folder...

More importantly: I have a million questions. All been asked before I'm sure. I try to avoid questions like "what's the best?" because I know if there was any such thing as the "best" all the others wouldn't exist!

Most importantly I'm casting aluminium and want to update my charcoal furnace for something more convenient. Propane or used oil, I think. I have an old Reil0 central heating burner and lots of vegetable oil and used car engine oil.

I'd appreciate a pointer to get some late night reading in!

Many thanks! Look forward to chatting to you soon.

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome KDM. I'm glad you got past whatever was holding you up. I took a similar path starting with a charcoal furnace. I soon built an oil burner with a hago (Delavan) siphon type nozzle and it works well but there are other options for oil which I'm sure you will be seeing here shortly. Whatever direction you decide to go, there's a group of folks here willing to help.

Pete

Tobho Mott and KDM like this.
  3. Petee716

We had a member over on Alloy Avenue named 4cylinderfury who used a home furnace burner to good effect. It's too bad he's dropped off, he was a real asset. In any event I don't know if anyone here is using such a unit, but its likely do-able. Do you have a picture, or, have you tested it?

Pete

KDM likes this.
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

No idea, but it does happen from time to time.
    Welcome to the forum.

KDM likes this.
  5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I don't recall either. It could be he never rec'd the replies but he would have been approved and just not known it.

It's more likely that his IP address had been associated with malicious or spamming activity even though he may not have been the direct source of it. There are a number of ways that can happen. I think we try to be pretty liberal with membership approvals and if they are spammers or bad actors we just ban them after the fact.

Not saying this was the case in this instance, but when our screening software says an IP address has been reported hundreds of times as a spam source, or they have what is an obvious computer generated ID and emanates from a proxy server, they aren't getting approved.

If applicants would populate more information in their application than just their user ID and email address, it would make it a lot easier to ID the legitimate aps.

In any case, glad you are here now, welcome.

Best,
    Kelly

KDM likes this.
  6. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Welcome to the forum!

If your home heating burner doesn't work out as-is, you can probably cobble together something that does from some of its components, ie. the atomizing nozzle and fuel pump.

There are many types of foundry burners you can build yourself. Everyone here probably has their own favourite flavour, so have a look around and see what people here are have come up with. Then you'll be able to get an idea what the pros and cons of the different types of burners, are and which ones might suit you best.

Good luck!

Jeff

7. myfordboy

myfordboy Silver

I know of someone who has used a central heating burner unit for a furnace burner. He was using kerosene without problems.
    I can't see it being able to handle waste oil with the same nozzle and would not think the high pressure pump would handle it.
    I could be wrong!
    The other disadvantage is they are quite large and the furnace tyuere would have to be large to accommodate it.
    Love my oil burner. My supply of waste oil has stopped during Covid so currently using oil drained from my central heating tank.
    It does burn cleaner but not free of course.

8. Tobho Mott

The guy I was thinking of who reused a nozzle and pump from a home heating oil burner might have been using diesel rather than waste oil, come to think about it a bit more...

Jeff

9. OMM

OMM Silver

In my parts of the world, home heating fuel is considered coloured diesel. It is dirty diesel fuel that is generally coloured red. What I mean by dirty is it has not been purified for vehicles and does not have any road tax associated with it. It can be purchased about 30% less than diesel at the pump. My last home 12 years ago was oil heated. At the time, diesel prices were $.78 per litre and I was getting heating oil at $.52 per litre. Under Ontario regulations the feeder tank needs to be replaced every 30 years (if I remember correctly). At the time I remove the tank when I was told it would no longer be filled. I set up a 45 gallon drum in the backyard and topped it up every day with 10 gallons of diesel. Eventually about a month later I set up a proper new 900L tank and then got deliveries with my new certification.

If you can get home heating oil add a discounted price you're laughing. If you can get waste oil or waste vegetable oil for free you're really laughing. I just use at the pump diesel fuel to get my furnace up and running for the first 5 to 10 minutes. Then I switch over to waste vegetable oil.

I usually burn 2 to 3 L of diesel before I can switch over to waste vegetable oil.... And for the last two or three minutes of the burn I switch back two diesel to clear the lines.

I'm not sure if this has been help or not but good luck with your set up.

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Welcome from a not so sunny Suffolk.

Diesel will get pricy pretty quickly over here around £1.20 litre, if you already have heating fuel it's ideal. (None of the mess and issues with collectiong used oil)

11. myfordboy

myfordboy Silver

Last heating oil I bought was about 45p a litre. I use about 3 litre for an hour burn which will use all the sand I have in about 6 moulds.
    i don't consider that expensive.

12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I agree, when you chuck diesel in at forecourt prices it's a little more spendy but then I'm a tight Bstd. I'd use heating oil if it was on hand and save the faff of used oil, particularly as it is not entirely legal to collect oil from a business unless you are a licenced recyling company.

13. Petee716

Free is great and I take advantage of it whenever possible but it can come at the cost of mess, contamination, inconstancy, and cold-weather issues. Those can all be overcome by various means and may fit well in a given setup, but buying diesel, kerosene, or HHO is a slam-dunk and overcomes most of above issues.
    I utilize all of the above, but mostly the free stuff.

Pete

14. KDM

KDM Copper

No, indeed, why did I not think of simply using kerosene? That's got to be cheaper than propane!
    My furnace isn't big and tyuere is only 1/2".! It was only designed for air. I think i can make it big enough for a 1" home-made propane burner.

15. KDM

KDM Copper

How do you suppose that compares to propane, for example?

16. You might look into building a drip burner. They are incredibly easy.

I think you'll have difficulty with waste vegetable oil in a home heating nozzle.

Welcome to the group. We're all here to learn and share our experiences.

KDM likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

Pssst.... KWIKY! You can even burn dead baby seals with it!

They really are cute at this age.
    cute-baby-seal-waves-photographer-alexey-trofimov-russia-fb__700-png.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. Tobho Mott

Baby seals? Please, big waste of time, they hardly even have any oil in them at all compared to whales! :eek:

In half-seriousness though, here's how simple a gravity fed drip burner can be to put together. And take apart:

They work great as a forced air propane burner as well, but when you're burning waste oil or diesel or whatever, the propane is only used to preheat the furnace.

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  19. KDM

KDM Copper

I've no shortage of dead seals, but my compressor wouldn't last two minutes.

20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

You have to mince them first

floyd mincer.jpg

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.