Newbie. Harbor freight and my construction

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Ben Ricard, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I would not doubt it! I think Im going to use the American made frame!

2. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I think you are right. I am going to use the one made in USA. Leave the chinese motor on the chinese kart.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Now THIS is the look Peedee.... LMAO!
    20210111_011447.jpg

Peedee likes this.
  4. RasySumka

RasySumka Lead

Try going to a specialty store. They will definitely help you.

5. Not sure of your 110 supply in US as we are 240 volts here in UK if working outside we use a 110 v transformer with a centre tap to earth. The important thing when buying a welder is the duty cycle cheaper units here may have a headline rating of say 160 amps but have a small duty cycle at full power so can only do short welds. Buy a welder with a high power rating, and use it at a lower setting for a longer duty cycle.

Richard

6. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

A little welding followup. That little HF Titanium Mig welder has been working very good as long as yuo hook it to 240vac power. I have an outlet in my garage for my friend that has a Leaf and couldn't quite make it all the way home. Grandson broke a tooth off the little Jogn Deere tractor that he has so far dug out 16 stumps. Got a new shank and welded it right back on with fluxcored no gas. Really nice weld and good penetration with flux core. Took it to work and welded up some 1/4" x 2 x 2 angle reinforcement on some special dollies.
    A few weeks back my grandson in college calls me in a panic. "Pop I've got a welding lab and I can't do this! You gotta teach me." I said I tried when you were 12, you didn't like all the sparks! They were starting off students that never got ANY hand-eye coordination from working with tools using 6013. So on Saturday I found a PRIMEWELD combo welder with stick, Tig and Plasma, new still in the box and a foot pedal and extra consumables for $300 on Craigslist. Present from his wife before she got cancer so I didn't dicker. Welds very nice with stick and I bought a pound of 7014 drag rod to get my grandson going. He picked it up quick after that. Just bought an Argon Bottle and a double Regulator for torch gas and purging. Will be using it at work shortly to weld stainless and then I'll test the plasma cutter too.

I've had some stainless projects for my boat on hold since I didn't have access anymore to TIG. I've been getting parts laser cut by Send-Cut-Send and they now do small bending tasks too. Very pleased with them.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Good for you Gary. They only way to get good is get in there and go for it. I still suck at stainless, but no time for that now. I gotta learn to stick with 7018 and fast! I've got a mountain of work I need done pretty soon!

If you like mig, get going with shielding gas. You'll never want fluxcore ever again.