Pattern Making for the Mechanically Challenged

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by mrhomescientist, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Hello all! I have an account over at Alloy Avenue already, but I see many of the same people at this forum and it seems to get a bit more traffic. So I figured I'd post this one over here and see how it does.

I have a new project in mind that will require me to make a pattern from scratch. I'd like to make coins that have my YouTube channel logo on one side, and the URL and the YouTube icon on the reverse. I'd like the text and graphics to be raised, if that's not much more trouble than having it "engraved." I know that casting isn't the best method for making coins, but I had some very promising results copying an existing coin in my first thread over at AA. I figure I can design these coins to be thicker and thus more forgiving.

Anyways, my main issue is that I am "mechanically challenged" - I have no machines to create anything myself. No lathe, CNC, 3D printer, or anything. Best I can do is a dremel! So my question is, what route would people recommend for making a pattern with minimal equipment and no experience?

I could try carving wood with the Dremel, but that might not look clean and crisp enough for my taste. I could also try wax carving since I do have some green casting wax, which I have yet to do anything with. I also looked into trying some free 3D design software, making an STL file, and asking someone with a printer to print them for me. (I looked at 3D design services, but the one quote I got was outrageously expensive so I dropped that idea pretty quick.)

I know that's not a whole lot to go on, but I wanted to put it out there and see if anyone had any recommendations on where to start. Thanks in advance, everybody.

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What does or what will the coin look like??

3. DavidF

4. I saw your post on the 3D printer sale, and was very tempted! The time wasn't quite right for me, I think. That would be fantastic if you could print it! I've never seen resin prints; they're a lot smoother than the filament printers right?

There's actually 3 coins I'm interested in making. Coin 1 is my YouTube coin, and the other two I'd like to give as Christmas gifts.

I'm thinking 1.5" dia. coins, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" thick max. The text and graphics should be raised, maybe 1/16" (2mm). It might be prudent to make each coin as two pieces to put the part line right in the middle, but I'll leave that to your judgement.

- For Coins 2 & 3, raising everything to the same level is fine, so I can sand it all nice and shiny.
    - On Coin 1, I think I'd like the green liquid in the test tube only raised about half as high as the black outline, and the white bubbles inside not raised. On the reverse, just the red part of the logo should be raised. I'm not sure if it would be better to raise or "engrave" the URL; not sure if it makes a difference.

The coin that I've already cast (not perfect, but pretty close) is only 1/16" thick and has some tiny text, so I'm pretty confident I can manage the specs for these ones. EDIT: Here's the link to my last attempt at that coin: http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?13638-Making-Brass/page13

I know this suddenly went from 1 item to 3. I'd be happy to pay you for your time and materials if you're still willing to help out.

Coin 1.JPG Coin 2.JPG Coin 3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2019
  5. DavidF

I'll see what I can whip up when I get home tonight....
    What will the coins be used for??

6. That's awesome, thanks so much! 2 and 3 I'll give as gifts, along with a black plastic challenge coin stand for display. I chose the symbol and letter on each side to represent the giver and receiver. (I'm not married to the font on these two by the way, whatever works.) As for the YouTube coin, I'm not really sure yet. Definitely something to post a cool video on, but beyond that? Maybe I'll give copies out as souvenirs, or come up with a contest of some sort with that as the prize.

7. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

8. DavidF

Where???

9. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Although I'm not your man for making the patterns I can offer a little experience. Firstly as HT1 said, bigger is better (read easier). I have used the rubber stamp method through Printing Impressions and it worked great. I've also cut them with my CNC router and they work great as well. For the purposes of my point the CNC cut pieces would be analogous to David's 3D.
    1) A raised image pulls from the sand easier than one cut into the pattern, especially if there are sharp edges in the depression. Sand compacts into the recesses and often breaks off when you're removing the pattern.
    2) it's easy to go overboard with the height (or depth) of your image. Often when 1/8 or 1/16" seems right, 1/64 will actually give you the desired effect and will be easier to pull successfully.
    3) you can't cheat on draft. The rubber stamp method gives draft and smooth rounded edges because of the nature of the process. 3D or router requires the operator to make those provisions as needed. No problem.
    4) make sure to provide provisions to pull the pattern from the sand.

Again it doesn't matter to me how you have them made. The couple suggested so far will work fine and there are several others I'm sure, but being mindful of the suggestions above will help you at the molding bench.

Pete

10. Great advice, thanks guys. The rubber stamp method is pretty interesting, I never would have thought of that. I suppose I would need to get 6 stamps, one for each side of the 3 coins.
    Professionally made would certainly be nice, but coins 2 and 3 are personalized gifts and I certainly don't need 50 of them! Maybe for coin #1.

Thanks for the tips Pete, that all makes a lot of sense. It's hard for me to picture measurements like that, so I may need to just try making several versions and see how it looks. The coin I copied has some areas raised about 1/16", but others maybe half that.

11. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

If all else fails find a local Makerspace see if someone there can help you out.
    (If david is helping you out your in good hands!)

12. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

13. DavidF

Still playing with the design, I want to radius the edges of the orbits but have to separate them from the main file and do them as an assembly. Then add the liquid and bubbles. Not sure how well this shows what it will look like but should give a rough idea....
    COIN mhs.jpg

14. DavidF

Orbits rounded.... getting closer ....
    coin mhs 2.jpg

15. DavidF

ever think of adding some color with epoxy resins?? I could set the model up so you can do it...
    coin mhs 3.jpg

16. DavidF

17. DavidF

18. DavidF

And here is where I go to bed for the night....
    coin 6.jpg

Melterskelter and OMM like this.
  19. OMM

OMM Silver

David, I like your design work! But this is coining. They can be hot coined or cold coined. Cold is not really cold, And hot is not really hot. But I hope you get the picture. To make this coin perfect, I would take your design and cnc it on two different punch blanks HT with a capture die form. I would pre-slug it from drawn material alloy. Down and dirty, form it with a 50,000 ton hydraulic press.

20. rocco

rocco Silver

Actually, I don't think intent here is "real" coining rather, the end goal is to cast something that resembles a coin.
    In any event, nice work David.