Preserving brass

Discussion in 'Castings, finishing/ repair/ and patina's' started by Jason, May 12, 2023.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Some of you might remember this piece from one of the videos. I finally had the correct size garnets show up to replace the missing stone. It was originally painted brass (Austrian I think) and I bead blast the crappy finish off it, made some repairs to the neck and now I've gone over the thing with brass wheels. So before I reinstall the last gemstone and top glass, I'm curious if there is some miracle shit in a can I should spray on this to keep from having to wheel this again in the future. Basically I'd like to lock in the look without being a slave to a stinky can of brasso. (hate that smell) When I was a kid growing up in the 80's, my mother had a house full of brass stuff from Pier one and I was appointed, "keeper of the brass".:rolleyes:

Any good ideas???
    Thanks!

20230512_194024.jpg
    20230512_195259.jpg

20230512_195348.jpg

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Is that protectaclear any good??????

3. I think a thin wafting on of rattle can clear acrylic lacquer would do and call it good. I have some cans of generic auto acrylic white and black that performs really well on warmed metal surfaces and dries in under 30 minutes. I've seen both a satin and gloss clear acrylic available. Other than that you get into mixtures of nitric and sulphuric acid to passivate the brass with a thin clear oxide coating..... I still think that kid looks like it's about to get abducted by a UFO.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

lol... she is waiting for the aliens to take her far from the cesspool! I saw that nitric/sulphuric acid recipe somewhere. Ðoes it change the appearance? Rattle can would work I think for something that never gets messed with like this little lamp. I'm tempted to try that protectaclear, I'd like to see how it works on the bronze sink. My wife's obsession with the hand washing thing at the moment is destroying the patina. Actually it's the huge amounts of hand soap she's blasting through that's trashing my hard work.

5. The brass passivation solution keeps it bright and shiny but is thin and can wear off with normal handling. In other words great for keeping brass taps shiny on the hardware shelves long enough to sell. I've never used it directly but I have some G clamp photos somewhere of what it looks like after nearly 40 years that I'll dig up and post.

So the clamps were all made at the same time around 1983 , the sash clamps have been stored since passivation , the G clamps on top have been in workshop use all that time as well as the un-treated g clamp on the bottom. So the passivation mix was nitric acid of a specific minimum SG and sulphuric of a minimum SG and dip for a very short period of seconds or it goes green.

G clamps.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2023
    Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

Badass! I'm okay with thin! Then slap a protective layer on!

7. The trick is to find a supply of acid without getting raided for meth production.....didn't Texas make possession of lab glassware by civilians illegal. Where I am it's not that much of a problem to get industrial chemicals but they did close the loophole that let people of this state possess atomic weaponry (for mining purposes).

8. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

9. Jason

Jason Gold

And??? How's your boat??

There is a house a few streets away that mysteriously caught fire one night. I'm pretty sure they were cooking meth. What should I tell them I need for chemicals? lol

10. FishbonzWV

That was done in 2015 and still looks the same.

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Incredible.. says it works on brass too! ;)

12. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I've heard good things about this stuff. Never used it (wife hates gold colored things so no brass here)
    Renaissance-Wax

It's a wax so it's not too impossible to remove if you decide to go welding on that thing again.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

I think that's the same as my bowling alley wax. Not cheap either, smells like hell. protects for months, not years.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Alright, I left them $120bucks:eek: This shit better be the catsass!:mad:
    I trust you Bonz!:p

15. FishbonzWV

Never go to the store when you're hungry. :)
    What all did you get?

16. Jason

Jason Gold

lmao.. no kidding. I got a can of that protectant, some copper cleaner, neutralizer and some polish stuff.
    Nothing is cheap these days! :mad:

17. Jason

Jason Gold

So the kit showed up. The cleaner was leaking and they forgot to ship the polish. :rolleyes: With that said, the lady on the phone in California was super nice and got new stuff on the way.
    Outstanding service from the company.

20230522_142415.jpg

The cleaner is interesting. I swear the stuff is vinegar suspended in Nuru Massage gel. Don't ask how I know what that shit is!o_O But it does work really good.
    I've got some Bronze samples covered in the protectant. I'm interested to see how it stands the test of time. If I was a betting man, I swear this stuff is friggen Mop-N-Glo!!! Sure as hell smells like it and behaves like it too! While others used ice cold water, cotton balls and parade gloss on their boots, I was the guy with the mop N glo fast ass boot shine! It even peels off your fingers like it! It also seriously reminds me of the shit I put on deicing boots on the airplane.

Where is our resident chemical expert????

https://www.carbone-data.com/pdf/shopify/protectaclear-msds.pdf
    http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/US - MOP GLO Multi Floor Surface Cleaner - English (August 2012).pdf
    https://www.jetstreamproducts.com/files/MSDS_-_Jet_Stream_Pbs_Boot_Sealant.pdf

I rest my case! >>>> https://mopreviewed.com/experts/que/other-uses-for-mop-and-glo/

A bronze shutter dog is the perfect test bed. I let them go nice and green naturally, now let's see what this stuff can do. Weird this one didn't display.. oh well...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Can someone please tell me why this stuff is eating my ass? It immediately takes me back to a 1980's flea market when I was a kid watching the snake oil salesmen flogging all kinds of crap with their fancy showmanship antics... After some more digging, I found everbrite chomping at the bit to set anyone up in business to sell their stuff. They point out the product is $ and nets the seller $$$$. I then get more skeptical when every video I find of someone with a copper sink, they NEVER report back with how the stuff stood up to sink use. It's one thing for some trim work on a boat that doesn't get used as much as it SHOULD! (Do they ever?:() But I'm looking for a near permanent solution for my bronze sink! As I've mentioned, my wife suffering from severe OCD will put almost any surface to the test big time. Want proof??

My side! I have not done a thing to this thing. I tried one time to wax it and she caught me with the can and she lost her shit.
    So I said, fine, Fk it. Let it do what it will.
    20230520_164042.jpg

Her side. DESTROYED!
    20230520_164047.jpg

I now have no choice but to pull this thing and start again. :( Seeing I have to go all the way back to square one, my gunsmith neighbor suggested Cerakote clear. I searched and look what popped up! Straight from Cerakotes mouth! https://www.cerakote.com/cerakote-industries/kitchen-and-bath

The only decision will be to patina it again first or go for the gold look?
    One thing for certain, I don't trust this everbrite for such a demanding job especially if it's what I think it is.:rolleyes:

20220222_163928.jpg

20220222_172907.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

It's great on my junk from India. lol
    20230523_011155.jpg

20. FishbonzWV

How did you apply it?
    With the everbrite, I used a sponge to wipe it on...self leveling even on vertical surfaces.
    Anodized aluminum prep was an alcohol wipedown.
    "the lady on the phone in California was super nice" I had great service too.