Propane with forced air burner

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by Rtsquirrel, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

My current propane burner is a naturally aspirated, venturi style. I've tried forced air with it, limited success. I'm thinking of building a 2nd one, similar to this one by luckygen1001. I'll probably use a variac controlled air source.
    Thoughts?
    Higher temps or not? Fuel savings?

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A hair dryer and router speed controller from harbor freight works wonders. I keep planning on building something better, but its just too damn easy to grab the duct tape and attach the hair dryer to my reil burner.
    I have only found the addition of air necessary to reach iron temps.
    Side note, I picked up another style of burner from a guy in NJ. Its very nicely built but when I tried it in the furnace it lacked the umph the reil had. His burner has a pressure gauge on it and would not go over 25 psi.
    My thoughts are that his regulator lacks the flow that mine has but I have not done any testing to prove this as of yet. When I get a chance I will switch my regulator with his and see if im correct.....

3. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I used a hair dryer, still have it somewhere. But when I used it, it was injecting on a branch (iron wye) but not mixing with injected propane until the combustion chamber. Sinice I've got no plans for melting iron, maybe that sleeping dog can lie.
    I rarely take my regulator much over 30. Flame gets a bit unstable. My jet is centered in the large end of a 2" x 1" bell reducer, aiming down a 1 foot length of 1" iron pipe, no flare. Maybe I'll add a flare. I do have an adjustable gate over the 2" opening, starts mostly closed during warm up, mostly open during the melt.

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I would build the 3/4" rail over the 1" I have found and seen many times over now that the smaller burner out performs the larger one...

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  5. Robert

Robert Silver

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  6. cactusdreams

cactusdreams Copper Banner Member

Hi all. Been a while since I've posted here. Thought I'd share my experience with adding a blower. I started with a naturally aspirated 3/4" T-Rex burner. Worked OK for AL but took a long time with brass. Forget iron. Then I added an inline blower using a pineapple juice can. Worked great! Cut AL melt times almost in half. Later I got hold of a bounce house blower and it got me to brass and bronze temps easily and iron OK. What I found was as the hotface heats up you can turn up the air and gas even more. The inline blower had some issues with back pressure, I think because my burner tube is only 3/4", and the bounce house blower was way overkill at full throttle. Each fan liked to be controlled in a different way. The folks who know electrical issues can explain it but the inline blower liked being controlled with its own speed controller which is more than just a light dimmer some how. The bounce house blower didn't like to be electrically controlled at all. It likes to just have its air input or output restricted. I also have an old shop vac which likes a good ol' light dimmer on it. Later I added some dryer duct quick connects for easily switching blowers and breakdown. I use the inline blower for AL as even the restricted flow on the bounce house blower creates so much turbulence in the furnace it over oxidizes the melt and sets up standing waves that sloshed over the crucible. But on heavier brass, bronze & iron the bounce house blower is the ticket, though a smaller one would work just as well. This monster is just what came my way.

T-Rex blower 1.jpg
    blower 3.jpg
    jumper install.jpg
    dryer connect 1.jpg
    dryer connect 2.jpg

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  7. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Early on, I debated myself about 3/4" vs. 1". Despite all the 3/4" burners I had seen, I justified 1" as bigger = better. Not always so.

Ill check out Robert's link on AA.

CactusDreams, glad to see you're on here as well. I remember a lot of your stuff on AA. You're in Mexico right? Hoping to make a trip to Ajijic sometime. But I really miss Baja. Used to surf a lot down there when I lived in San Diego. Kept my taco addiction fed as well. Thanks for the pics.

Edit: Sorry Cactus. Just looked at your profile. Canola Park, not Mexico. I lived in Rowland Heights breifly, not that close to Canoga Park. But, closer than where I am now.
    I cannot remember who that was in Mexico that was on AA. But I do remember your stuff.
    [end ramble]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  8. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?12550-HT1-s-Moya-Burner&highlight=burner

Here is my build thread, very simple, i'm running almost the same setup as Rasper, save I never hook up the oil fun it on propane all the time... be forewarned furnace design is more of an issue then people thing, My new Hemispherical lid proved that

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/making-it-a-hemi.320/

V/r HT1

P.S. play with how far you insert the Burner into your furnace... there is a big fall off on mine if it is too far in, but my furnace burner opening has a bell mouth on the inside... also I let my furnace warm up with the lid open as idt sputters a little till it gets hot ( like 2 minutes) then quiets down I close the lid and melt

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Rtsquirrel likes this.
  9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is really clever.
    I have a propane burner like that, but never figured out how to add combustion air to it.

10. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

I've gathered the parts for a new burner, planning on a forced air connection like Cactus shared. New model will definitely have a flare on the end. Hoping to reduce the propane consumption a little.
    My 100 lb. tank acts like it's endless, but we know better than that. Last time I filled it, I was alerted that the inspection was overdue. Best $75 worth of propane ever .

11. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

I only use forced air burners. I have posted my little burner before on other forums. I drilled a hole in an exhaust pipe from Autozone, bent a piece of 1/8" copper tube to go into the hole and then point down the tube, hooked it to a high pressure propane reg. My large blower is a squirrel cage and I have to keep it closed down or there's too much air. The highest gas pressure I've run is about 10 pounds. In these pictures I have a small computer fan. Yes, I was surprised it work but I have to keep it shut down also, I use about 5 to 7 pounds of gas for Bronze and aluminum. Less than $30 just because of the regulator.
    Yes duct tape and hose clamps. 12 volt fan and I hook it to a charger while melting.
    IMG_0015.jpg IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0009.jpg IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0010.jpg

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  12. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I use forced air propane for preheat only; I have a similar Hot Shot / Moya burner setup similar to Rasper's as well: bucket-sized shop vac on a dimmer switch, 0-10psi propane fryer regulator that dumps into the burner tube with no nozzle, and a gravity fed oil drip line for once the furnace gets hot enough to vaporize the oil. I usually set the regulator about half way open with the blower on quite low during the preheat stage. When I used my furnace as a forge one time, I opened the regulator all the way and turned the air up a bit higher. That worked great, I don't doubt I could melt metal that way. But I don't, because I can usually get free wvo and also I find it it easier to tune in the burner when it is running on oil.

I think the whole point of using forced air propane (when the propane's not just added to an oil dripper for furnace preheat) is so that you can push more gas into your furnace than a naturally aspirated burner could keep up with, while still maintaining a near-neutral furnace atmosphere. So, yes to the higher temps, but no to the fuel savings. IMO.

Jeff

Jimmy Cogg and Rtsquirrel like this.
  13. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

More good info. Thanks guys.

14. Robert

Robert Silver

My regulator only goes up to 20 PSI. I think I may do better with 30. Any one got a link to a good quality item?
    Robert

15. The pottery kiln supply people should have a suitable flow regulator. The propane furnace a friend uses on a regular basis has one: http://www.e-weld.co.za/product/regulator-lpg-high-pressure-red-devil/
    The burner is simply a length of 1/2" copper tube connected to the regulator that carries the fuel into the forced air stream.

16. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

20181006_084557.jpg 20181006_084606.jpg I've got a Fisher FS-67CH-150, bought at a nearby welding supply, $65 almost 3 years ago. Can't find it online, but other models come up. It has an outlet pressure gauge. Spec says 30 -60 operating range, I rarely go over 30. Hoping to go lower with this new burner.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  18. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Thanks for that! You've inspired me. I'm going too splice in a propane line into my oil fired furnace to start it up.

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  19. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

This is a fab thread thanks. It has made for a very entertaining Sunday afternoon for me. I've successfully upgraded my waste oil burner to now also burn propane for preheating the furnace to then switch to burning waste oil. Here is a video short of what I've done and the results. Cheers.

Jason and Rtsquirrel like this.
  20. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Nice work Jimmy.

Jimmy Cogg likes this.