Recommendations for a burner

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by John Homer, Jan 18, 2021.

1. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I have researched on the net many different types of burners and have gotten no where. I need the ability to melt bronze quickly and the most affordable way possible. I don't have time to build one so would like to purchase if someone sells these.

Any recommendations appreciated.
    Thanks

2. A drip burner using a leaf blower for air and a small tube like a brake line to the end of the burner for used motor oil with a propane side tap for initial warmup is the most affordable to operate, simplest and quickest to build. I don't know of anyone who sells them however. It will still take about a half hour or so to melt 5 lbs of bronze, depending on a lot of factors. The mass of the furnace is the biggest factor for speed. A ceramic fiber furnace with satanite lining is probably the fastest warmup.

Have you researched home made burners on this site?

John Homer likes this.
  3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Here's a couple of examples of what OIF is describing.
    https://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oilburners09.html
    "Brute" and "Hotshot" (next page). No compressor needed.
    Several member here use them and are happy with them. Preheating with wood or propane is required. The wood method of preheating is more time consuming and produces significant burning cinders out the exhaust so I'd recommend the propane hookup.
    Plug-n-play? No.
    Simple, cheap, and effective? Yes.
    Hanging your fuel 8 feet off the ground or so is effective unless you have a pressurized tank.
    I haven't heard of anyone bothering with the taper on the brute.
    From what others have shared, both a needle valve and a ball valve on the fuel line are needed.
    2" exhaust pipe and fuel line from the auto parts store and the rest of it from Home Depot. I think I got my needle valves from McMaster Carr.

Pete

John Homer likes this.
  4. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I don't think that question can be answered accurately without knowing more about your furnace.
    How big is it?
    How much space between crucible and walls?
    How much mass in the refractory?
    All those parameters dictate the burner design.

John Homer likes this.
  5. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Thanks for the information. I have done some research on here. Where can I purchase the ceramic fiber and satanite lining?

6. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I am planning on building a beer keg furnace to fit a #10 crucible. The lining will be about two to three inches thick. Not sure about space between the walls and crucible yet. I have looked at the devil Forge furnace which is ideal but expensive.

http://devil-forge.com/gas-furnaces/40-fb3h.html

7. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

You can build naturally aspirated propane burner very easy and it will melt bronze. This is probably the easiest and fastest way to get started.

John Homer likes this.
  8. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

, yes, but his melt times will be pushing 2 hours per heat

V/r HT1

Jason and John Homer like this.
  9. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I would like to melt in 30 minutes if possible.

Billy Elmore likes this.
  10. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I have one now but it isn't hot enough for a quick melt

11. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Ouch....man I must have gotten lucky as I can melt brass in about 45 minutes (probably less)with mine. I did a burner tube change last night to experiment and went to a longer and bigger tube and was shocked at the difference it made. What used to take my furnace about little less than ten minutes to be glowing turned into about three minutes with the new burner tube. I hope to do a melt in the next couple of days with the new burner and see how it does with a charge.

John Homer likes this.
  12. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Yeah...that might be pushing the envelope for gas...heck it may be pushing it for oil as well...or at least close to it.LOL I will let you know how my next brass melt goes with the new burner. I will do a time from cold start to melt. I did one in around 20 minutes with the furnace still hot with the old burner but am sure I can do much better with the new one. I have not tried it with the lid on it yet either so I may have a change of heart when I actually start melting with the lid on.

John Homer likes this.
  13. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What did you change from/to as far as dimension? A lot of references suggest 10 diameters of tube length from the point where gas is introduced for mixing.

Best,
    K

HT1 and John Homer like this.
  14. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I went from 3/4" x 8" to 1" x 10". Slowed the velocity down so I get a better burn inside the furnace...I barely had flames coming out the top where I used to have six inches shooting out....around 13 psi. I took it to 15 psi and it was already red in about two or three minutes...I was shocked and almost did a melt but I didnt have any molds to pour them in. LOL I really think it will nearly cut my melt times close to in half...but we will see. I hate to get to optimistic and get my feelings hurt.LOL One thing I did notice was that I lost a lot of the swirling affect. It would make about two loops and then couldnt see it anymore. I didnt think it was working as well until I saw how fast it got red and realized I may have been blowing too much gas out of the furnace with the higher velocity and increased pressure.

15. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You should post up in your furnace thread when you get a chance to use it. I guess in my mind, if the fuel pressure and orifice is the same, you have the same amount of fuel and either should be able to be tuned to the same energy level, provided you can aspirate enough air (don't recall, it is naturally aspirated, not forced air, right). But, if it was poor mixing it may have made the lower part of the furnace cooler until full burn was realized.

Best,
    Kelly

HT1 and John Homer like this.
  16. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Thanks I would be happy with a 45 minute start up and 25 minute remelt when hot. I will be melting 15 - 20 lbs of bronze at a time. Thanks

Billy Elmore likes this.
  17. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I have no force air burners. Am looking to switch to a recommended burner that works best no matter what the cost within reason

18. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Naturally. I will take pics but might be hard to see.

John Homer likes this.
  19. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

The pics are the gas inlet and mig tip and the old beside the new tube. I built a turyere into the furnace wall but couldn't get the one off the end on the old tube so just left it as it matched ok but the new tube was cut off the end by about 3/4" to remove an old fitting I couldn't get off. I might fire it up in a little bit if I get a chance. I have some small band parts I want to pour.

Attached Files:

John Homer likes this.
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

Kwiky burner. Never mind, you don't wanna build it. This is the way life works. TIME, MONEY, QUALITY >>>>>>>> PICK TWO!

I'll sell you mine, it burns anything you want, but you couldn't pay me a grand for it. Last week it was 500bucks. First pour is 40mins second pour around 20mins.
    See how this works? My solution is FAST, I ship over night! The quality is excellent, proven, and tested. What you don't get is CHEAP!

Here's a video to see it's construction, you might change your mind about building it yourself. With that said, this hobby is a true test for your
    ability to design, build and troubleshoot just about everything you will touch. Yes, it's almost a right of passage even. ;)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    John Homer and Billy Elmore like this.