Recommendations for a burner

Discussion in 'Burners and their construction' started by John Homer, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

23 minutes and I was finished pouring. Not quite as good as I thought. My lid restricted me to 10psi for a smooth burn but I actually kept it around 7 or 8 nearly the whole melt because that is where it seemed to give me the best heat at crucible height.

John Homer likes this.
  2. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

You can use 1/8 pipe and you can tap it for the mig tip....that is how I did it. The only thing I had to buy that wasn't laying around was the adapter for the gas line to the airline. My mig tip was already shaped too. Took me about five minutes to assemble didnt cost but a few dollars. Which of the three am I sacrificing? Quality? Im fine with it and it works very well and its ugly just like my dog...and I love his dumb ass.LOL

John Homer and Jason like this.
  3. Jason

Jason Gold

TIME... That means pulling out of the box and putting it to work. Collecting all the parts was a royal pain in the ass at my HD. Spent an hour putzing with those idiots trying to find stuff.

John Homer and Billy Elmore like this.
  4. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

You definately need to post the specifics on that burner, it is performing better then any burner I have heard tale of , and I would definatly be building a clone, dont forget we need the furnace specs too, the furnace and the burner are a team

Thanks in advance

V/r HT1

OMM, John Homer and Billy Elmore like this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

6. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I am almost sure my lid is restricting the performance but have not tested it yet by melting without it. This was 23 minutes for aluminum too...not brass. I think I actually got a quicker melt with the other burner because this one did not let me crank up the pressure with the lid on it. I have some more testing to do as it really seemed to get better heat at much lower psi. I stopped looking at the gauge and just watched the flames and sounds and around 5 to 7 seemed to be the best clean burn and put the heat at crucible height. One other thing I noticed is how much longer it took to get red with the crucible in it. The bottom was red around three minutes without it ,and with it, it nearly doubled. I was around six or seven minutes before I started charging the crucible. I did have the lid on before charging too....so it also had an effect on how fast it heated. I dont think there is anything special about the burner..other than it was cheap and easy...scary easy.LOL I do believe it has more to do with the burner and furnace volume minus the crucible area. I will get it fine tuned and get more specifics before building an oil drip one for cast iron and make a post with all of it. I have been gathering free fuel and now have enough to warrant an oil drip burner for the new furnace.

John Homer likes this.
  7. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

You the man Jason! I found the problem. I need four moles. Since I got the cat I haven't seen any around in years. I need four of the little shits. upload_2021-1-20_6-59-34.png

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

I still believe there is something to this mifco side exhaust design. I think the heat stays in the chamber longer.

9. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I agree....we are trying to make heat in the chamber not push it out the top. I still think mine does better at lower gas psi...which is the same basic principle. It may take longer to get to temp but will be way more efficient. It will also be much easier on the equipment. I may try to build that into the new furnace I am going to build soon. At least make it an optional accessory that can be changed out if I decide I hate it.

10. HotRodTractor

HotRodTractor Copper

Are you referring to the side exhaust found on pot furnaces? I know that some of the Mifco units pull double duty and can do both crucible melting as well as pot melting for dip out. You need a side exhaust for a pot furnace.

Billy Elmore likes this.
  11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Yes, pot furnace. This was discussed here a while ago, and the reason for the side exhaust explained on the MIFCO site C series.....for when the pot is in place.

Gas Fired Melting Furnaces- MIFCO

Best,
    Kelly

12. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Not sure if a pot furnace is the same thing I refer to as a dipping furnace but I think it is based on your saying you dip it out...I am out of the loop on that terminology... but yes. I have seen tilting furnaces with side vents as well. I think the more heat we can retain in the furnace the better....but I am sure there is side effects...like gas absorption...but honestly I have never seen that be a real issue...most of the time when I see people saying that it looks to me like a nasty charge with tramp elements in the melt...but I do not have any real experience dealing with that because we only use electric here. I am sure others on here would have more experience in dealing with gas and oil burners.

13. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Yup...lid closed faster melt times.
    MELTING TIME for melting a cast iron pot of aluminum approximately 24 minutes. Melting time for crucible in closed furnace chamber for aluminum approximately 18 minutes, for brass approximately 35 minutes.

John Homer likes this.
  14. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

MIFCO calls them pot furnace because they are literally designed to have a pot installed in the lid, but they can still operate as crucible furnaces too. They had a secondary lid to reduce the vent size when used as a crucible furnace. Tippers use side exit too.....they can be kind of nice because they can double duty as dip out too. Opinions vary but I don't think there is any magic in side exhaust, it just keeps the furnace gas from blowing in your face as you access the melt, but it does have the potential benefit of isolating the melt from a furnace atmosphere, which can be beneficial in some instances.

Best,
    Kelly

John Homer likes this.
  15. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

They have the double burner design too.

John Homer likes this.
  16. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Did you mention here or elsewhere that you were considering a double burner? It might have been someone else.
    I guess as long as I've started the post I'll just say what I was thinking:
    I'm assuming the Mifco double burners were engineered by professionals with deeper pockets and more brains than me, taking into account natural gas BTU potential, metering, pressure, airflow, furnace configuration and volume, etc. you know, MasterYoda stuff. And I'm sure they work fine. But I think a double OIL burner, if that's what you (or whomever) meant, is probably not only not necessary but probably way too much capacity for our typical 10-12" bores. I think that for a couple of reasons. One, because of the guys here successfully melting Cu and Fe with relative ease with single oil burners. I've found that I can easily overwhelm my 10" bore with my pressurized Delevan and vacuum cleaner. The other reason I think that is because of the experimenting PatG did over at AA. He had the setup, and it looked like he had it set up sensibly, but he just couldn't get it to work. The exact shortcomings of the thing escape me at the moment but I know he put a great deal of effort into, as he did with most of his projects, and I was left with the distinct impression that it wasn't ever going to bear fruit. So maybe I have an unreasonable bias.
    However, by the same token, OMM is running a double oil with a pair of itty bitty burners (forgive me if I don't remember details) in a typical sized furnace, but I don't know if they have the capacity to hit iron or bronze effectively.
    Maybe he'll chime in.

Pete

John Homer likes this.
  17. John Homer

John Homer Silver

18. Jason

Jason Gold

I wouldn't touch that thing with Davids money and Petee lighting the flame! $1600bucks is asinine.
    Besides, that guy is a first rate a-hole. I had direct words with that piece of work a couple of years ago.

John Homer likes this.
  19. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Put your time, materials into building furnaces for sale and see what you think its worth then.
    And don't forget taxes and manufacturing insurance.

John Homer likes this.
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, I know, 9cents an hr and no rice breaks is expensive. Wake up man! That junk is made in china.