Refractory coating

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by NewBootGoofin, May 2, 2021.

1. NewBootGoofin

NewBootGoofin Copper

Who said I only want to do this once?

2. Jason

Jason Gold

OMG, 500bucks?? Where are you people at when I sell stuff?

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I prefer to build my own equipment but if you value your time and would rather spend it casting than researching and building equipment, doesn't seem out of line to me at all.

A10 Salamander Super $110
    Burner, Regulator, hose etc $100
    Ceramic wool, refractory, $50-$100 by the time you get it shipped.

So you're more than half way to the purchase price and you haven't even scrounged up materials to build the furnace. At my rate, you couldn't even buy an hour of my time for what's left. The coated wool vs hard refractory furnace is an old debate, but there is no doubt they do very well in non-ferrous work and are light enough they can easily be set up and moved around.

If the tongs shown in that picture/kit are supposed to be for lifting the crucible, I'd forget that and build a proper set.

Game on NBG!

Best,
    Kelly

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Kelly, you wrote exactly what I was in the process of writing but wrote it better. Nothing about this kit says low quality or “cheap.” It looks like a good way to not spend 2 or 3 months sourcing parts and supplies and figuring (with some inevitable missteps) how to make them all work together. With respect to the coating itself, my suspicion, based on the zirconium content, is that it will be the equal of Satanite and may be better. A large percentage of folks here successfully use Satanite and wool as primary components of their furnaces. I use Satanite often as an adhesive for applying wool as a lid gasket and as an coating for wool that lines my muffler chimney.

Bottom line is the OP has a “turnkey” kit ready to fire up and use to pour metal. Like every other setup I’ve known of, over time he will find things to modify to enhance function. But, I would figure the coating is fine just as it is light it up and melt some aluminum for starters. If the lining starts to break down after a bunch of firing, no problem. Just paint on some Satanite and keep on melting.

Denis

5. NewBootGoofin

NewBootGoofin Copper

Probably out having a life. You may want to try it. The general vibe I get from you so far is that you’re addicted to getting an ego boost talking down to people on the internet. It’s kind of pathetic, really. There’s some addiction in my family so I do feel bad for you. I would say find a meeting and get some help but I’m pretty sure you’d be laughed at by a bunch of druggies and drunks.

As far as the cost goes, I considered making one out of an old propane tank or something but I’m a pretty busy guy and I make a decent paycheck so it’s not that big of a deal to me. Sounds like you don’t make much money. That’s ok. The world need plebeians, too.

Doesn’t seem like you have much too add help wise. That’s ok, if talking down to newbies on the internet is what it takes for you to feel like you matter in life then by all means, bash away.

6. NewBootGoofin

NewBootGoofin Copper

Thank you for the responses to the other guys. Turn key was pretty much what I was looking for. The kit had everything I needed to get going. And yeah those tongs aren’t going to cut it. I’ll have to pick something up somewhere or make something.

I may just buy some of that satinite you guys are talking about and give it some extra coating, just to be sure.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

As previously mention, the Satanite product can be quickly applied and fired. It changes state once fired but it sure makes it quick easy and convenient to use. It can also be reconstituted, meaning if you mix up a batch, you can grind it up, add water and use it as long as it has not been fired. I keep a little tub of it on hand and add water occasionally. I'm not familiar with Heatguard product. It may be similar in this regard, or maybe not.

Best,
    Kelly

8. Ease up on Jason. He is very knowledgeable and a lot of help. He does enjoy his sarcasm, which I enjoy too. His comments are never meant to offend but more to be amusing. Sometimes he misses the mark but I enjoy reading his posts. Don't take it personally and you'll get benefit from his comments too.

That being said I did enjoy you flaming him. I mainly responded to help him "get it".

Jason and Tobho Mott like this.
  9. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm immune.

I've been around long enough to witness the proliferation of cheap kits flood the market only to rip off customers from their hard earned money. I was lucky and built my rig 7years ago with the rock solid advice from many of our guys here. I did it once and did it right. Everything else is just chin music. I do have a satanite setup also I use for glasswork so I'm not just talking out my ass. I'm not talking down to anyone, this is an open and manly discussion. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I forget snowflakes are often delicate.

10. Melterskelter

Well, NewBoot, you have a few things you better learn and learn quick. This is a site for real tough guys only. No delicate little stupid snowflakes allowed. On this site we don't care one bit about talkin' offensive-like. And we ARE tough. To prove that we say things like ass and shit and would never apologize (a definite sign of incredible weakness) for mindless remarks. So get used to it! If y'all aren't careful I might even say the F-word, you sissy. And besides we are smart as HELL.

I hope that helps. ;-)

Denis

oldironfarmer and Jason like this.
  11. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

NewBoot,
    There are benefits to Hard castable lined furnaces and there are benefits to wool lined furnace (with coatings). It's also a point of pride thing to building your own furnace. These have been debated at length. We have also seen some pretty crap kit being hawked on the web for way too much $$$. What you may see as Jason talking down to you is a reflection of those conversations that have been had hundreds of times before you joined here or other places we all have interacted. I will also point out there's quite a bit of sarcasm and cheekiness used here on and from new or old members alike.
    You'll find a mountain of knowledge here but it is accompanied by a tight knit group of folks that enjoy a bit of good natured hazing (new and old we don't discriminate).
    If you are looking to do shell casting Jason is the guy to talk to. Also he's the resident expert on buttplugs.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  12. :D:D:D

Aww, come on Denis, we know you're a wimp inside that tough exterior. And can't even afford two "n"s.

13. Melterskelter

More like too busy to repeat myself. ;) Besides being tough and smart. So, quit wastin my time, slacker.

Denis

14. And wealthy too, you forgot that.

I'll go back to work and try to get a runout.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

I spent all day dodging thunderstorms yesterday while the passengers were getting hammered having a party. One guy told me, "Man you can fly the shit outta this thing!" lmao.
    Funny how no matter what someones net worth is, put them on a guys only fishing trip and they turn into a bunch of high school seniors. At least they didnt use the potty so I count that a win. I forgot to service it anyways.:eek:

Next batch of plugs will be in the mail soon.:p Better figure out what you'll say to your wives when they show up!

16. NewBootGoofin

NewBootGoofin Copper

I’m rather partial to it myself. ;)

17. NewBootGoofin

NewBootGoofin Copper

Once I learn how to do this I’ll make you one. I’m assuming it needs to be BBC size? Pretty much what you’re used to. I’ll paint it and everything!!!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

You'll learn, I only screw with people I like. You haven't earned that privilege yet.

19. NewBootGoofin

NewBootGoofin Copper

You just had to respond, didn’t you? Like I said you’re addicted to getting attention from people on the internet. It would be so easy to screw with you.

Your original comment actually didn’t bother me at all. I had scrolled through the pages a bit before I posted and it was obvious the type of person you are. The internet is crawling with people like you. I just wanted to throw some bait out there to see how you would respond. You did pretty much what I figured you would do. And you’re still doing it.

I could keep you going like this forever if I wanted to, because I know your weakness. You have to have the last word.

So now the question becomes should you respond to this or not. I mean, you want to. You desperately do. You’re feeling yourself become irritated just reading this and you’re ready to pound your little thumbs on that phone. But that would continue to prove me right. So you just have to ignore me, as difficult as that is for you. But that would make you look weak.

Mmmm, what to do what to do? It’s pretty funny either way, so I don’t really care.

Laughing at you little man!!

20. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

NBC, as a new guy I think you're getting off on the wrong foot. If you decide to stick around you'll find that Sky King likes to do a few loopty loops in the old Bamboo Bomber just to shock and awe the crowds. By doing all this flaming, you're just showing how thin skinned you are.
    Back to your original question, have you fired the refractory yet to see if it will harden?