Rent-a-Foundry

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by purpleparachute, Jul 20, 2022.

1. Hey All,

Sorry if that title got you all excited...I'm looking for this service rather than offering it!

Any thoughts on rent-able foundry facilities anywhere in the UK? Somewhere you can get trained, signed off and then use as you need?

I know, I'm probably dreaming...

Ta, PP

2. metallab

metallab Silver

I don't think such exists. You should probably make your own furnace which costs much less and is much more rewarding than buying a commercial furnace.

Petee716 likes this.
  3. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

4. Hey Metallab - you haven't seen my pigeon-shit welding with an arc welder, not sure I'd trust myself to make the burner with the amount of pressure going through it. I'm alright with tig though maybe could just use this to make my set up. agreed home made is most satisfying though will prob start with at least some bought bits.
    It's more limitations on size and location that makes me ask about the idea of hire.
    Cheers Mantrid, signed up for the free wax dealio, £150+ postage for a casting sounds alright if they do a decent job, can fix most issues if not probably. Have you tried this? free wax for use either way.
    thelostfoundry looks good but pricey and I didn't know you could hire with Artisan, been eyeing up that site for materials but hadn't looked further than this so that's really helpful.

5. rocco

rocco Silver

You can easily make a propane burner using only threaded fittings, no welding required.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. Ah did not know that, thanks - will need to start doing some proper research on designs soon.

7. rocco

rocco Silver

A good place to start is the burner forum here also, google "Reil burner", it's very popular style and in the process of researching that burner, you will inevitably come across several other designs.
    FWIW, I use a Reil style burner, mine is modified with a mig tip orifice rather than a drilled orifice.

8. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

No i havent gven that a go. but that free wax sounds like a good idea to get customers hooked on their casting service.
    Sounds like good value to at £150 considering they chase, patina and wax the bronze aswell..
    Let use know how it goes
    The gallery shows some of the customers work
    http://www.bronzefoundry.co.uk/FREEWAX/GALLERY/Free Wax Gallery.html

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  9. Brill thanks will do when I get there