Road trip..

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Man, you can say that again. Understood!

Best,
    Kelly

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Just got a call from goldmachinery, they were testing out the mixer and found some bearing and seal problems on the mixer that needs to be addressed. So looks like I won't be able to pick it up until next Friday.
    Damn, I could have made use of it this weekend. Oh well...

I've been eyeing up a couple of induction furnaces as well. Anyone have any idea of what frequency is needed for melting stainless??
    Seems like most won't get to the temperature or the frequency is not suited for stainlees??? Or am I just looking at things the wrong way??

3. Clay

Clay Copper

So are you going to melt in a vacuum? If so that seems like it would be a factor of how much vacuum you could pull, right?

4. DavidF

The induction furnaces I'm looking at use a shielding gas on the melt with the flask underneath that has a vacuum pulled on it.
    But the melt itself is not under vacuum.

Clay likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

I think my brother in law is buying something like this. I don't know much about it except it was really expensive new, it's dirt cheap now and does it's magic under argon.
    Should I find out what he is looking at?

6. DavidF

No! Might be the one I'm trying to buy. Lol
    But I do need to find some cheap gold....

7. Jason

Jason Gold

lol.. Gold is anything but cheap right now.

8. Clay

Clay Copper

9. Petee716 likes this.
  10. DavidF

11. DavidF

I made it home finally! 15 hours on the road. Damn that sucked. Only took 5 hours to get there but got hung up in NY in traffic forever.
    So no, I do not love NY :mad:

12. So you've been suffering for your art David :D. Is it normal to have traffic that bad, like not enough roads in and out of the place?.

13. DavidF

I don't even know how to explain it. It would take me an hour to type out what I just experienced today...
    Crazy is all I can say, they take a single lane road and drive 2 wide on it.

14. Sounds like there's been little expansion of infrastructure to keep up with population growth, it's a major problem in Australia.

Jason, DavidF and dennis like this.
  15. Jason

Jason Gold

I got you beat man. Over 24hrs, a rented cadillac, forklift, a Uhaul and a trailer to drag home a tired, but free dirty old bridgeport!:p People in my neck of the woods don't know even what a bridgeport is let alone seen one!

16. DavidF

Why do you think I had the last one delivered?
    Just wait until you decide to move one day :confused:

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Bite your tongue!:D I dont want to move, EVER! And I've only got 2 machines. For years I went without because my job tends to cause unexpected moves to happen.
    Moving sucks, I've had good friends help out last minute and I try to return the favor. With heavy crap, no one should go it alone.

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Infrastructure degrading in the US is a very real issue. My town has a real problem pissing away money on social programs, side walks and dog parks while our roads are getting horrible. Then after they repave a section, they rip it up 6months later because of the 70year old pipes underground. So I watch my taxes go towards stuff I'll never get a chance to use and I just "shut up and color" :rolleyes:

19. DavidF

Then they up your taxes because they need more money to fix the roads. Then they take 70% of that money and funnel it off to do other things other than fixing the roads.

Clay and Jason like this.
  20. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Is there a political piss and moan subforum?

If there is not one already, maybe it would be a good idea. Based on recent experience the ground rules would be very simple. First, grab a brewski or maybe two or better three. Then just sit back and let your fingers fly while, based on your own personal political agenda, you educate "everyone out there" as to the current sad state of affairs. The ground rules would not require any substantiation of your notions based on pesky statistics or verifiable facts, and need not even approach believability. Just let it fly! You will feel so much better and you will have done your part to straighten out the world. The other great thing would be that subforum could be a place for thinkers (not the sheep ya know) to congregate and (fester?) or fertilize each others' brains with the latest and most insightful condensation of important information. What do you think?

Denis

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    OMM likes this.