Road trip..

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Mar 1, 2021.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Yea, your right.... :oops:

2. My vote is against such a sub forum, if any of the other online forums are a guide it devolves into a constant shitstorm of insults.:mad::confused:

3. DavidF

That's what he meant... in a polite way :)

4. For a second there I was worried you'd go and create one.

OMM and DavidF like this.
  5. DavidF

Oh, I could create one.
    In a galaxy far far away.........:p

6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Marginally polite and clearly sarcastic. Sorry myself.

Denis

OMM, Tobho Mott and DavidF like this.
  7. DavidF

Dude, it was perfect!

FishbonzWV and Tobho Mott like this.
  8. OMM

OMM Silver

I agree strongly. And lightly disagree. I think certain topics can be discussed as gentlemen, as it may affect this community. But, this takes a lot of time in moderation.

The Internet is the Internet. But, the owner of any platform can potentially held liable. This is where "directors and officers insurance coverage" needs to step in.

Discussion is one thing and can be permitted under freedom of speech. Rallying is a whole different ball of wax.

If the website remains more of a "show and tell" experience.... Even the squeaky wheel can get heard and understood. And possibly educate others based off of experience.

Edit; I live just 5 minute drive away from one of the worlds busiest highway/freeways. I could zip across the city from one end to the other in 30 minutes. I think at its widest might be 20 lanes of traffic. And sees over a half million vehicles a day. Only one small little accident could cause half hour of extra traffic time if you're in the wrong Lane. I have a love-hate relationship with the "401"!

I also have a love-hate relationship with the new "407". The 401 is free. The 407 cost almost $37 to take it from one end to the other. It is a private toll Highway. It was built using Canadian dollars and then sold to I believe a Swedish company on a 99 year lease. So, I try not to take it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  9. Melterskelter

I will put in my vote to hope against hope that this forum remain relatively free of political agenda broadcasting. There is nothing in it for us. There are innumerable places for people to vent. Go there to vent. Come here to talk about molten metal in one form or another. Injecting politics will not bring us more together, I can guarantee that. Quite the opposite, for certain.

There must be some wisdom in the time-honored suggestion that, in polite get-togethers, it is best to avoid discussion of religion and politics. But I never have heard advice to avoid foundry talk!

Denis

Tobho Mott and OMM like this.
  10. OMM

OMM Silver

I would love to say amen. But that might be against the rules.

Clay and Tobho Mott like this.
  11. DavidF

Picked up a vfd for the mixer, and have one for the vacuum pump. Now to work on wiring it up and work the bugs out. Unfortunately I'll have to do without it for this casting session but maybe I'll have it for the next go round...
    20210322_101613.jpg

Clay likes this.
  12. Melterskelter

That looks like a nice Allen Bradley VFD. I’d guess the build quality is very good and the documentation will be in plain English—-easy to read and understand. Nice.

Denis

13. DavidF

Umm, lol.... damn thing has a 500 page manual. :rolleyes: it will likely take me a day to sort out the programming, and only 15 minutes to wire it up....

14. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I have a smaller version of that AB VFD on my Mill. There's 500 pages of manual. only about 25 are useful. (150 pages of warnings and legal butt covering). There's pretty easy to get setup. As long as you know all the spec on the drive motor .

DavidF likes this.
  15. Melterskelter

I didn’t say brief! ;)

Denis

DavidF likes this.