Rocketman's Simpson Muller

Discussion in 'Sand Mullers' started by Rocketman, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

So I purchased this late last year on eBay, from a seller in upstate NY. It's in okay condition.
    It's been tipped over on its side at some point, and given the incredible weight of this thing it bent and cracked the upper drum which was not disclosed to me before purchase. I'm a little salty about that but it's been too long to file a claim. It does not seriously detriment the operation of the machine so, whatever. heh

Anyway, it's a pretty simple device. As an educated guess based on the serial number it appears to be from 1987.

Here's some pictures and video from when I first got it. I went over the whole top end of the machine and cleaned off the old sand and clay and gave it a shot of paint and new grease. It was pretty crusty.

I will add some additonal photos and video this week

20171205_125717.jpg

20171205_201303.jpg

20171205_201313.jpg

20171209_183213.jpg

20171209_185247.jpg

20171211_155255.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nice machine. All cast iron...wow lbs! Is the spindle column also integrally cast to the tub?

Couple questions for you. What HP motor? Is it operating in the vicinity of 45-60rpm? I take it that coil spring pictured is compressed in that cylinder and preloads the wheels which travel in camber...correct?

Best,
    Kelly

3. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Thanks Rocketman, the video shows a good view of how the plows/scrapers are set up, that should be quite helpful.

Jeff

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Nice machine. Hopefully one day I'll get my hands on one....

5. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Simpson makes a nice muller.
    Its a real workhorse.
    I will post some photos of one at the local metal museum.

6. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

I think the spindle is integral but I'm not positive. I didn't clean it that well around the column
    It's a 1 or 1.5hp 110v single phase motor. Yes, it spins around that - a bit faster than I expected.
    The spring hides in that cylinder and pushes the wheels down. It's not as strong as I thought it should be
    The gearbox on it is strange. I'll pull the service plate on the back and get some good pics inside it too.

There's been an identical one on eBay for the past 4 months, and its price has dropped significantly over time :D
    www.ebay.com/itm/Muller-Simpson-Mix-Muller/122734107048

7. Thanks for that eBay post. My friend who inherited a defunct foundry with his four siblings tells me he has a muller to give me. We're supposed to look at it next week. He also claims to have 60 tons of green sand. Iron foundry shut down with the furnace full and molds ready to pour. but he has been telling me this for two years.:rolleyes:

He owes me a little so taking a muller may be my only way of payment.