Sand molding and iron casting in India

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by metallab, Oct 29, 2020.

1. metallab

metallab Silver

Here you see how they do sand molding and iron casting in India. It looks like good craftsmanship, but very poor safety...
    I am curious how many eye injuries (with bare eyes close to the sparking induction furnace) or burns (using bare feet or thongs only when pouring) occur.
    It looks like a Western iron foundry in 1920....

Billy Elmore and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Geez us....someone get me the address to this place and I will send them some of my old work boots! Looks like how I ran around the aluminum foundry when I was a kid while burning the bottoms of my feet. Other than the atrocious disregard to employee safety that was a cool video! I really thought he was going to hit the sprue with his arm while ramming the mold up and sparks flying around all that hair seemed like a Michael Jackson Pepsi commercial about to happen. LOL Very interesting!

3. metallab

metallab Silver

And at least face shields for the furnace operators and when pouring.
    BTW, I saw they were actually handling steel, not cast iron. I saw them melting steel scrap and when opening the molds outdoors, they were beating it strongly with a heavy sledgehammer, but the castings did not break and on one casting I saw that the a sprue bent due to a sledgehammer blow rather than breaking off.
    If that is true, it is even better. Melting temperature is not an issue for an induction furnace.

Billy Elmore and Petee716 like this.