Scam???

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by DavidF, Mar 31, 2021.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

2. rocco

rocco Silver

Probably yes, things with that ad just don't add up. First, I'm pretty sure none of us could afford to cast and ship a piece that size for that price. Second, a google search of the url shows a facebook page, if you go there, there's a Canadian address that turns out to be bogus and there's also a phone number but with a Charleston SC area code. That's more than enough weirdness to keep me at bay.

3. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

I also notice that there are no real size indications showing, or telling, how big it is. The pics have nothing that really give one a size reference, and the text says there are "small", "medium", and "large". Ok, but "small" could be four inches tall, and "large" could be ten inches tall.

I agree with Rocco.....too many red flags.

Roger

4. rocco

rocco Silver

Scroll down the page a little bit and you'll find the sizes, they're big, even the small size. Even if they're made by convict labour in China, they're still way too cheap.
    sizes.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  5. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

Oops....missed that chart.
    But you're right. Too low cost for a truly bronze casting. My guess is a Zamak alloy, with a bronze patina applied.

But then, I don't really trust Chinese sources very much.

Roger

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks cheap to me. Probably resin with a layer of metal flake paint.

7. Mach

Mach Silver

DavidF likes this.
  8. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

9. HotRodTractor

HotRodTractor Copper

Well now I want a fire breathing dragon statue for the garden.... thanks! lol

Tobho Mott likes this.
  10. rocco

rocco Silver

Well, there's a perfect opportunity to let us know for sure whether or not this is a scam. :p

HotRodTractor and Tobho Mott like this.
  11. HotRodTractor

HotRodTractor Copper

I figured it was the perfect opportunity to put it on a to-do list for a later date. There are several awesome dragon models that can be downloaded to be used as a base for such a creation.