Should I Become Sea Coal Distributor?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Melterskelter, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I need to buy more sea coal. The company I buy from now has a new 100 dollar minimum purchase. A 50 pound bag costs 20+ USD. I need only 3 bags max.

I can buy it for 20+ and ship UPS simple rate for about 20 within the Conus. Canada is not known price-wise for UPS. So, I could buy a few more bags and ship them to members at 40 dollars for 50 pounds IF there is solid interest for a few bags. Any SERIOUS takers? One cu ft ( the max size for Simple Rate UPS ) is just about 50 pounds of sea coal. It is ground to a relatively unifor, fine consistency without a lot of dust and works well for me.

I could become the dominant player in US sea coal—-wowzers! ;-)

Denis

2. rocco

rocco Silver

I'm in Canada, here sales taxes and (in most cases) import fees are charged on any imported items with a declared value over $20 Cdn. Generally speaking when it comes to foreign shipments, I avoid UPS like the plague, the reason being UPS import brokerage fees are outrageous, where postal brokerage fees are a reasonable flat rate, UPS charges a flat fee plus a percentage of the declared value and to add insult to injury the Canadian governments charge sales tax on the brokerage fees, it all adds up very quickly. Some vendors are aware of this and they will sell the goods at a "loss", claim a declared value below $20 and make their money by inflating the shipping and handling fees, however that seems a little sleazy to me and it wouldn't surprise me if there could be legal implications to falsifying the declaration of value.

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Did you say before that you buy this in Canada?

4. Melterskelter

Not sure how I missed this question, but I did accidentally overlook it——sorry. Yes, I buy it from OCL foundry supply in Surrey BC. 604-592-4919 . They have been very accommodating. I have gotten sea coal, southern and western bentonite, and olivine sand from them. Nice people. When the border opens up, I’ll buy from them again.

Denis

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I asked the question with Rocco's comments in mind ie shipping directly to Canadian customers without crossing the US border first thereby avoiding the import issues. Probably way more trouble than it's worth though.

Pete

6. rocco

rocco Silver

FWIW, I've never actually looked for seacoal but there's a pretty significant steel industry in my area so I'm pretty sure I'd be able to find some nearby and failing that, there's a foundry supplier about a one hour drive away that has a very good reputation for being hobbyist friendly.

7. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Smelko Foundry Products in Southern Ontario has it, I'm pretty sure. I am not 100% sure it's in my Smelko sand mixed for aluminum casting, but I recall J. Vibert saying when he bought ingredients for iron casting sand from them, sea coal was one of them.

Jeff

8. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

....and whatever happened to Vibert?

Best,
    K

9. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I've wondered about him and a few others who seemed to disappear suddenly. JV recently streamed a live video on yt where he was playing pool (really well), but that's the only sign of him I've seen in a long time. I still want to see that muller of his working someday!

Jeff

10. nwcf_1

nwcf_1 Lead

I am interested in a local sea coal supply!
    When I first began reading about casting years ago online, there was much confusion about the use of sea coal, but since
    most all casters involved were doing aluminum, the discussion faded as if it were all fable. But ironsides proves it's worth in his videos. He also does not appear to mix it with the entire batch of sand, rather mixes up some facing sand to be used for that purpose.
    Speaking of casting fables- where is the wood flour? I recall reading about that as well. I have a miniature table saw that creates "wood flour" as it cuts basswood. I imagine it would work fine in sand core making as there are no resinous substances in it to add to the degassing needs of the flask. Once the flour burns the core would have no strength upon shakeout.

Cheers
    Stan

11. Melterskelter

I’ll send you a private msg.

Denis