Silicon-Carbide Crucible for Iron

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Melterskelter, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That's bound to put at least two people's mind at ease :). The question just arose from me envisioning how fast re-rod dissolves in the iron and how easy it is to move and form red hot steel........and also envisioning the full crucible falling like a tree and ejecting/projecting the molten charge outward. I'm sure that would travel.

I keep sheets on hand but I have them sheared to 3" x 4' from the 12' x 4' sheets so I can handle them. It is a joy to (MIG) weld and it also cuts (and forms) much easier/faster than 1/4" on my vertical band saw. When I fab structural stuff I reach for the 1/8" first unless it really calls for something more stout but with webs and gussets, you can make some pretty stiff structures. They often get a lot of weld nuts attached too.

I also keep 18, 20, and 22 ga on hand, but you're right about welding the thinner stuff, it gets progressively more difficult to avoid distortion the thinner you go, especially with MIG vs TIG.

Carry on.

Best,
    Kelly