Some nice looking patinas

Discussion in 'Castings, finishing/ repair/ and patina's' started by Mantrid, May 14, 2022.

1. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Been researching some red and purple patinas for my shark and reef sculpture. The following look promising and quite straight forward.

This silver looks very good aswell without having to electroplate. Thinking of using this for the sharks belly

Tops likes this.
  2. DJN Holistic

DJN Holistic Silver

I've been experimenting a little too recently. One I found that might be of interest to you is boiling the bronze in a copper sulphate solution. It creates a dark maroon colour in the indentations, and a light brown on the flat surfaces. The colour shift from maroon to brown is quite pronounced though and a little blotchy. I tried to disguise it by applying some ferric nitrate with a torch and brush to select areas afterwards. Ultimately, I wasn't too keen on the result for the piece I was working on and stripped it, but it might suit your reef better.

3. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Dark maroon sounds interesting. Maybe the brown could be rubbed off and something else applied.
    Thanks for the tip. How long do you boil it for? Is it until you get the colour you want?

4. DJN Holistic

DJN Holistic Silver

I didn't really time it, just kept an eye on it. Probably took about 20 min.