Stainless and aluminum

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Kent, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Kent

Kent Lead

I need a larger crucible, the 6” long 4” pipe I have been using for years is too small for my next project.

I came across a piece of stainless steel pipe, that is the perfect size.

Is there any odd reaction I should watch for using stainless in an electric foundry for aluminum?

2. Robert

Robert Silver

I have done this. Obviously you don't want to hit the coils with the conductive crucible. Keep in mind that stainless will last only slightly longer that regular steel at foundry temps. It will eventually dissolve and get a pin hole. It should be good for at least 5-10 melts depending on wall thickness.
    Heat the empty crucible red hot and let it cool before use. This will add and oxide layer that will prolong its life.
    Robert

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

MasterYoda uses stainless milkshake cups in his ingot operation in a gas fired furnace. He claims excellent performance with the use of some sort of wash coating inside. The Navy Foundry Manual recommends a mixture of 7 lbs of whiting (calcium carbonate) to 1 gallon of water applied to a hot steel or iron crucible (above 212F) and left to dry. Page 230. There’s some other interesting info regarding contamination on the same page.

Pete