Steel prices

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by rocco, Apr 29, 2022.

1. rocco

rocco Silver

I have a small project and I need one 20 foot length of 1"x 1" 1/8" angle, I called a couple place and my price locally is around $24 Cdn, that works out to about $19 USD. I've heard prices vary considerable depending on location, I'm curious what others are paying in their area.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    HT1 likes this.
  2. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

For me in MN, 19 to 20 dollars US (tied to market) from a big yard, 46 dollars US from a cleaned-up specialty store, and 12 dollars US for a six foot piece local big box store.

3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

id jump all over that

rocco likes this.
  4. rocco

rocco Silver

Made another couple calls, found some for $20Cdn (approx $15.50 USD)

Jason likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

For 1x1 angle.. That's about right. Still DOUBLE what it was last year. There was a healthy dip last year, but with each manufactured crisis comes another sharp stick to the eye.
    If you need to save a buck or too, see if you have a surplus supply source handy. There is one in Houston I use that sells steel at 1/2 the current going rate if I don't mind stuff missing an inch or two. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on 16 4x8 sheets of 1/4 plate for my hole in the ground. Then something told me I needed to stick with concrete. Hope I made the right choice.

Here is a chart where you can see the hot rolled steel MADNESS that is our current world economy. https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/COMEX-HRC1!/
    AND NO THIS ISN'T POLITICAL! I feel bad for the guys trying to put up steel buildings right now! My sister just put a steel roof on a house and barn and WOW was it expensive! :(

How about this for a deal.. This is some used 1/4" wall pipe, 6.5" diameter, about 6feet long. I'm making a pair of 16" rollers out of it. I paid 10bucks! I got a great scrap yard and I'm not afraid to grind a little rust off! What's funny is the gaping hole in my trailer! With the price of plywood, this hole is gonna be around awhile!:mad:

20220425_174429.jpg

BattyZ likes this.