Textured surface bronze casting

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Andrei, May 31, 2021.

1. Andrei

Andrei Lead

57337167-0490-459C-91E2-269265E591C7.jpeg I am looking for a way to achieve a textured finish by the lost wax method like in the PICTURE BELOW.

It is achieved by shrinkage or do I need textured investment?

The thickness of the section will be approx 5-6 mm.

2. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Looks good, did you invest a wax or an actual leaf ? It's usually easier to finish the wax surface exactly how you want it.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

He wants to emulate that texture, he didn't cast that.

There is a few ways to get a rough finish like that. The best way is to texture the wax part prior to investing. This is the correct method. Solid block invest and ceramic shell is excellent at duplicating exact copies of the wax. I see fingerprints in my metal.

Another thing that might work is if using ceramic shell, do not use the fine silica on the first couple of coats. Go straight to slurry with a larger mesh silica.
    Something you can experiment with also is using a coarse sand blasting media, that will also leave a coarse finish behind

The last option and I don't recommend this is overheat the piss outta the bronze. That will give you a shitty surface finish like that every time.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Thinking some more about your leaf, it could have been cast in greensand, but I'm guessing you are an investment caster like myself. ;)

5. Mach

Mach Silver

Saw dust? My last casting got saw dust sucked into my vacuum chamber when I released the vacuum. It created an unusual texture after casting. It'd be an experiment but I'm assuming saw dust or plastic powder would burn out leaving the texture behind.