The PortaMelt Portable Metal Melting Furnaces And Foundry Equipment

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by PortaMelt, May 6, 2022.

1. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

Hello Everyone :)

I am the new kid on the block, so I might as well make my debut. My name is Bruce, and please allow me to introduce you to my portable metal melting furnaces and foundry tools. Over the next couple of weeks, I will be testing all of this equipment extensively, to see how well it all performs.

In the upcoming content, you will clearly see that I am a safety minded individual, and I am sure that many will think I have gone overboard, with something that should be so simple, but we all have our quirks, and mine is safety. Anyhow, these furnaces and foundry were designed with safety and portability in mind. I believe in wearing the proper protective gear, eliminating the presence of moisture from all casting operations, and having the necessary tools handy, to perform the required tasks.

In the forth coming content, you will find photos, video, pdf files, and several links. I hope you find it interesting :) My video is the first and only video I have done upto this point, so please be merciful :) It is a bit lengthy and tad bit dry :)

Here is a link to my video

And here are several photos of my old setup and one of my new setup with be forth coming:

one-furnace-kit-front.jpg one-furnace-kit-left.jpg one-furnace-kit-right.jpg topleft.jpg thumb-hand-tools.jpg thumb-1qt-crucible-combo-kit.jpg thumb-blower-kit.jpg

As for external links, here are just two videos of why everyone should consider proper protective gear and removing moisture prior to casting and pouring :)

This video shows one very lucky guy. Using inadequate tooling and no personal protective equipment, this person manages to dump an entire crucible, filled with molten aluminum, without receiving any life threatening injuries.

This video clearly demonstrates the importance of removing all moisture from an ingot mold. At least these students were wearing gloves, but they should have also been wearing additional personal protective equipment. These students were very lucky that neither of them received any serious burns.

Attached Files:

2. PortaMelt

PortaMelt Copper

And here is a photo of my new setup, although it does not show a smaller preheating grill. With the smaller preheating, a hole is dug into the ground and firewood or charcoal is placed within the hole. The hole is then covered by the smaller grill with handle facing upward.

20220506_145534.jpg