Using a welder power supply as a induction furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Ironsides, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Does anyone here speak Ukrainian? I was watching a very interesting video using a inverter power supply from a welder to melt metals. I translated the title and description but would like to know what he is saying in the video.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

OMG... That voice! I had to check my YT settings to see if I had the speed right. Translation not available..

3. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

My first thought was that he was breathing in helium like they did in mythbusters

Mister ED and Mark's castings like this.
  4. I watched it before Jason's post and spent some time trying half and quarter speed...it was nasty, I had to conclude that was the guy's actual voice.

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

That is not the weirdest YouTube voice I've ever heard...

My grandmother on Dad's side could have translated it for you Ironsides, but sadly we've missed that boat by couple of decades.

Jeff

6. garyhlucas

garyhlucas Silver

He’s just using a stick type welder to supply high current into a heavy gauge nichrome wire. No induction involved. The problem is the welder duty cycle is WAY too small for this service. The advantage to using high current with a large element is that the element is sturdier and more compact. You’d be way better off getting a surplus buck/boost 12/24 volt transformer to do the same job in a much more bulletproof way.

7. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

I was wondering why he spent a lot of time heating up the wire and not using an induction coil to heat metal. Another misleading title on youtube.