Vontorne Muller

Discussion in 'Sand Mullers' started by Jim Edgeworth, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

977A109E-EB0B-4141-88B3-A04721ED920A.jpeg 6888AE41-F888-4B62-9280-F580BF5DDB5C.jpeg I built a close clone of George Vontorne’s muller, just for conditioning 10Kg batches of green sand. Seems to work well with light loads but my ex golf trolley gearmotor isn’t butch enough. I might change it out for a 1.5HP that I have lying around spare, trouble is it’s 2750rpm so it will need about an 80:1 reduction gearbox to get it down to a more manageable 35 rpm.

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Nice one! I have one that works quite well. I built a wheel and plow model muller later when I got my first batch of petrobond.
    Pro tip: no one on craigslist wants it!!

Pete

Tops, Billy Elmore and Tobho Mott like this.
  3. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

LOL!
    If anyone is looking to liquidate one of these let me know, this would be a good size for my current activities.

4. Petee716

20200108_212924.jpg

A couple hundred lbs on a pallet would be pricey to Minn from 14075.

Tops likes this.
  5. Tops

True, true. Maybe hundredweight via UPS? Two boxes? :)

6. Petee716

Tops likes this.
  7. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

If anyone is looking to liquidate one of these let me know

It's a lot less work to modify a small Harbor Freight mixer. Gearing ratio is already there.
    I use a stock one with the paddles removed and a large stone as the muller. Works for me.

Tops and Tobho Mott like this.
  8. I recently spoke to someone who has a Simpson lab muller for sale. If interested I will get the information and photos

Tops likes this.
  9. Tops

Thanks Eugene,I'd be interested, but cost plus shipping could be an issue. Trying to balance time spent making a muller versus money spent buying something done or close versus....too much time 'googling' them.
    :)
    PS If I did what FishbonzWV proposes I could be back and forth to Harbor Freight and acquire a large field stone and bolt it together today...no more 'googling' and I could practice the HT1 safety video saying 'no piddies, no piddies in the muller, nothing in there to grab...' :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  10. The lab muller is in PA at a medium sized Aluminum Foundry. This is a very heavy duty machine although it is small. These lab mullers seem to never lose their value. He will sell it for $1500.

He told me that it 25 lbs max batch capacity.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022