Wax burnout using high internal heat

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by JBC, Apr 7, 2021.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Bicycle pump. Or get a semens pressure tester for outboard lower units.
    I don't want the noise from a compressor while I'm shooting waxes, drinking beer and watching tv.... :D

2. JBC

JBC Copper

I think I'll have to start working on an easier mold. One without so much detail. Then once I can see and overcome issues head to more detail.
    Hell, I still need to get something cast too.
    I can get melt bronze in the microwave with some modifications but my list of rabbit-hole-to-do's is getting long. I'm gonna have to head back to really finding a burn out kiln instead.

The wax injector that's here in town I can get for less than $200. Its a Kerr (I believe) model. Big-ole tank from the looks of it.
    I'd much rather have a smaller unit.
    153555256_2312388692239252_6643384181940365840_n.jpg

3. DavidF

No. Just work towards making what you want.

4. JBC

JBC Copper

I get almost all of the wax details my little silicone mold has in it except the same two spots.

So I got a toothpick and tried dabbing some in the tiny slots with hot wax before infecting the whole thing to see if I could paint those areas and fill the rest.
    And what do you know? The wax was being resisted in those areas.
    I cleaned the areas with rubbing alcohol and then dish soap+water.
    But still those same small areas (in two separate molds) won't fill.

I checked online about issues with this wax and small details and found this one review on Rio Grande on Joe's Jewelry Investment Wax Turquoise:

What wax are you guys using for very fine thin details?

=.018 of an inch / .47mm (for reference = .039 of an inch / 1mm deep.

5. DavidF

For something that small and deep, you need a vacuum wax injector to guarantee a good fill.

You might want to get a max wax pen for your touch ups...
    https://www.esslinger.com/portable-cordless-max-wax-pen/

6. JBC

JBC Copper

.....and PUNT!
    I'm re-designing the model.
    I appreciate that info. I don't mind being a moth banging my head against the lightbulb....but I want to eventually get in!
    That helps me learn more about limitations that I can design around.

Thanks!

7. DavidF

Happy you picked up on that so quickly.
    I do alot of castings with text on them. They can prove very challenging.

8. JBC

JBC Copper

Thanks.

Do you use F360?

9. Jason

Jason Gold

10. JBC

JBC Copper

There's a guy in town that is going to show me what he has when back in town. It's a compressor model asking $200. He also has a kiln so could be a nice stop.

I modified my model/mold and when the silicone dries by tomorrow around 11 am PST I'll know if I need one.

11. DavidF

I use Alibre for my cad, which is similar to fusions cad, then Sprut cam for cam.
    Been working on learning Z brush core, but far from being proficient with it. Maybe I'll figure it out eventually :rolleyes:

12. JBC

JBC Copper

I always wanted to learn Zbrush but I can't justify the cost.

I started playing around with a nice app for my tablet- Nomad Sculpt. I think it's 14.99 on the Apple Store.
    It blows me away with what it can do. The designer has been updating this thing a lot!

There is a content creator who also offers online courses to learn the program, SouthernGFX.
    Check out Glen's videos to see what it can do -.
    Glen also has a Facebook group and responds to just about everything, as well as others there.

Stephan who owns/designs Nomad has a forum for keeping in touch and updating users;
    https://forum.nomadsculpt.com/latest

jbc

13. DavidF

Z brush core is cheaper than z brush...

14. JBC

JBC Copper

What RTV silicone are you using for wax casting?

15. JBC

JBC Copper

monthly = no thanks.
    Check out Nomad Sculpt. $15.00 is an easy choice. This prog is really maturing rapidly.

16. DavidF

Aluminite platinum 60.

You can buy it outright for $179.95
    That's what I did...

17. JBC

JBC Copper

I have a question about the flask (4" dia 6" tall) and vacuum.
    If I do move forward with microwaving the flask and can get the heat up to calcify the investment (I can't put a flask with a metal sleeve in the microwave) will the vacuum table be effective?
    The suction force will draw in air over the entirety of the flask and not just from the top/spout. I would think the vacuum table will help but not by much right?
    Thoughts?

If that's the case I think my best approach would be to make a sheet metal sleeve I can place around the flask prior to the pour (seems fiddly).
    Any other ideas?

18. JBC

JBC Copper

I had a decent pour last night but still missed the mark.
    I was able to get the cavity of the flask to approx. 200F but I couldn't get it higher.

Hopefully this weekend I have time to try another pour with a slightly different approach.
    The details I was able to get gives me hope. This was the best I've had so far but nowhere near my goal.
    Still so much to learn casting small detailed models: Wax injection/using a wax pen/spruing the tree and overcoming a furnace that keeps turning off but shows its holding temps (waiting to hear back from the manufacturer for replacement thermocouple).

Good stuff!

Saint 4.23.2021.jpg

19. JBC

JBC Copper

Have you used Silpak's Silicones?
    http://www.silpak.com/products/r1000.html

I liked it but I dont have much experience with any silicones for wax injection.
    I'm tempted to try Aluminlite Platinum. i have tried some Smooth-on and found it basically the same as Silpak, so I'm thinking they are all pretty close to each other (when looking at hardness and elongation before break).

I hate buying 2lb trials at $58/try.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Some microwaves allow you to nuke metal objects. I know the new crappy samsung over the range one I have has a metal rack in it. My first one lasted 2years so instead of fixing it, I grabbed another new one for 189bucks. Samsung is great for phones and stuff, but their appliances are grade A chinese JUNK!