What is the Slickest Most Adhesion Resistant Prep for Sodium Silicate Core Boxes?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Melterskelter, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I have just revamped a Baltic birch core box that I have been using over the last 3 years. It is 18” long and triangular in cross section with letter located near its interior apex.

A seemingly good approach to coating it has been to spray it with a couple coats of shellac and then a few coats of sprayed while lacquer. The lacquer tends to reveal any surface dents or high spots which I then either sand off or fill with spotting putty or slightly thinned Bondo two-part putty.

Then I have used Johnson’s past wax and sometimes have used silicone spray (I am uncertain how much this helps) and some of the time I have applied graphite. Overall the wax and graphite work pretty well. But I wonder if an automotive wax would be more durable or slicker. And would there be some other coatings that would be superior?

I have noticed that spray shellac left as the final surface coat does not seem to release nearly as well as does the lacquer.

I will soon be making an aluminum casting of the corebox in hopes of improving its durability. So it will need some sort of coating/polishing/talc/graphite/other treatment as well.

Suggestions for both the wood and metal boxes?

Denis

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

One ask this guy in the most appropriate video
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChF0g3BAJwfO1I5237iNBOQ/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

in the Navy the pattern shop had two things Sandable sealer, and Spray Lacquer,
    the closest thing I have found to sand sealer is autobody primer , it comes in 3 colors and two varieties, small filling, and heavy filling obviously works on wood and metal, fillers, wax you name it , steel wool it fow a crazy slick finish, you can steel wool it with graphite for a slick slick slick finish, or just steel wool it , then lacquer, go easy with the laquer, this is a bad time to get a run

for the finished core box , we used some commercial product, which looked very much like fireclay, graphite, in alcohol , probably with something to keep it in suspension, we sprayed it in the core box, it would dry in a few minutes, make your core, the core would come out of the box with most of the release agent on the core (it was bright silver)

Here is a link to a commercial product, there is some real interesting stuff there

https://generalchem.com/category/cold-box-mold-release-agents

a google search for core box release gives some neat info

V/r HT1

Melterskelter likes this.
  3. Melterskelter

HT1,

I.t looks like the linked core release agents contain large proportions of silicone. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with silicone though I have only used it as a spray mold release. Probably would be better in the linked higher concentration products.

My beef with silicone is that I not infrequently like to make some modification to a corebox. That means repainting it with lacquer. Silicone raises havoc with lacquer as it causes fish-eyes even after a fair bit of sanding. I try to get around that by using a sealing coat or two of shellac which seems relatively insensitive to silicone contamination. But even that is imperfect. Wax seems to cause little trouble with fish-eyes and that may reflect its tendency to not be as adhesion resisting (have higher surface energy) than silicone and therefor be not quite as good a release agent as silicone. Graphite does not seem to cause trouble with fish-eyes either. What I would like to find is a wax that is significantly better than Johnson’s so that I could avoid silicone. But, if the core release agents are really superior, then I will knuckle under and use them.

Thanks.

Denis

4. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I'm not going to say I have a solution but have you ever "polished" your paint with your fingers?
    After the proper drying time I rub my patterns hard. There is a noticeable difference in slickness.

5. Melterskelter

I have certainly polished it with 600 and 1000 grit Si-C paper. You can see where that knock the tops off the inevitable hills in the paint. And then I wax and then I rub in graphite with my fingers and a brush. The result is pretty good. I am just looking to make it better.

This morning I tested Meguiars car wax, Johnson Paste wax and Johnson Paste wax to patches of melamine. On the second Johnsons patch I sprayed some silicon. Then to all three areas I pressed on a 1” square patch of Bondo polyester filler and let it set up. Then I did a peel test.

The Meguiars was a little stickier than the Johnsons and the Johnsons plus silicone released the easiest. The differences were not huge but definitely noticeable.

Looks like Johnsons plus silicone is the way to go for what I have in the shop right now. But getting some mold release should be something to look at, unless I get some other better suggestions. Makes me curious as to how much better the proprietary mold release is compared to wax plus spray silicone.

Denis

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  6. I have noticed that aluminium gets attacked by sodium silicate, not surprising for an alkaline substance. Most of my patterns are coated in an aluminium paint based release agent for resin sand use: the stuff lasts for 50+ moulds before needing a recoat but sodium silicate sticks to it and pulls it off the pattern in sheets. I have some fibreglass mould release wax that seems to be silicone and wax based, it needs to dry for about 30 minutes before polishing and can be built up in layers, they recommend six coats for a new mould. It would work for sodium silicate but probably wear off fast, I was thinking a mix of wax and graphite might be suitable for sodium silicate use, maybe melt some floor polish and stir in graphite powder. At least with that combo you'd get a visual cue on when to recoat it as it wears off.

https://www.trmoldrelease.com/shop-category/paste-wax/

7. Melterskelter

Interesting point about sodium silicate's affinity for aluminum. My plan is to cast my present pattern in aluminum and save the original pattern using it as a master for casting working patterns as needed in the future. Maybe I'll need to lacquer the aluminum pattern to protect it from silicate. I am hoping to use it as raw metal thinking the metal will be less prone to flaking and denting.

Denis

8. It could be possible to anodize the aluminium to give a porous but hard wax holding surface too. That would be a hard crust of aluminium oxide, or sapphire in other words so it would be very abrasion resistant.

9. rocco

rocco Silver

Just throwing this out, anyone know if polyvinyl alcohol mold release might be suitable for this application? It's relatively cheap, easy to apply

10. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I think any water in the SS would immediately activate/dissolve the PVA. By itself, it's more barrier than release agent.

Denis, a couple other thoughts. Why not iron? It will be more abrasion resistant and could even be hardened. It will polish up nicely and if you ever have the desire to make hot/shell cores, it would be up to the task. My foundry friends always considered aluminum core boxes temporary tooling. Unless you use a hardcoat of some kind I think you'll find it scratches and wont hold it's surface finish. For either aluminum or iron, can you stand the shrinkage in casting the metal core box from your master?

One other thing you might consider is urethane elastomer; extremely abrasion resistance. For example used as the liner in vibratory media tubs. Freeman has nice castable version that are ~60D shore elastomer so very impact resistant but hard like a shoe heel. If you have a nice master, just apply release agents (usually PVA and carnuba wax) and the shrinkage will be negligible. You can cast it solid up to 2" but I'd probably make a wooden backer and cast at about 1/2" thickness. You can't work them after they are cast so must be net shape and finish. Pricey, $288/gal now. That's 4x what I used to pay.

The fast cast rigid urethanes are only about #33/gal but they are rigid, not elastomers, and not as impact or abrasion resistant. I used to use this for a lot of temporary tooling but probably just a little better than wood for durability. If you have an account with them you can see pricing.

https://www.freemansupply.com/produ.../rencast-6444-wear-resistant-foundry-urethane

Best,
    Kelly

11. rocco

rocco Silver

I don't think that would be a problem. If you use an appropriate amount SS solution, the sand is barely damp and still more or less free flowing.

12. Melterskelter

Kelly made some interesting points about PVA in post 10 above. I did try it a bit with Bondo on melamine with somewhat disappointing results. I am not sure I used it correctly though as it seems like it should have worked well. I might revisit it.

And, dang it Kelly, your idea for iron as a pattern is not a bad one. Indeed, I may find aluminum to be too soft. If it is, I will use the master I will be setting aside and make an iron pattern. I think the aluminum one should be adequate since I have used wood to this point with only a few handling-damage repairs needed. The pattern gets used a few times per month, not ten times a day.

Here is a video of my latest demolding operation after I was quite careful to get a few good coats of lacquer onto the mold. Then I waxed it with Johnson's a couple times and buffed it a bit. Then I took some graphite and worked it into the surface with my fingers, a brush, and a paper towel. I have to confess to not always being so meticulaous about surface prep and the inside of the wood corebox had been modified a few times with some repainting that could have been sanded out better etc. Some of the disatifaction I was experiencing with separation of the core was, in retrospect, self-induced.:(

Here is the video that is a few minutes in length. In summary, the core separated very nicely.

Here are a couple stills:
    This is the box after waxing and working in the graphite. My fingers are "slightly" dirty.
    Graphite coated corebox.JPG
    This is the box after waxing but before graphite.
    Waxed corebox.JPG

Denis

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Chazza likes this.
  13. Al2O3

Only way to know for sure is try but I think there will be enough free H2O to cause a problems. Water is a very strong solvent to PVA and even if not, SS may readily bond to PVA. I don't think PVA will release anything without wax on each side. Without it's just water weak soluble glue or paint but it is a chemical barrier that can allow parting of similar epoxies and thermosets.

Best,
    Kelly

14. Tom Cobett

Tom Cobett Silver

Sodium silicate will chemically bond to iron or steel. It is actually used to make laminated steel.
    Sodium silicate reacts with aluminum to create flammable hydrogen gas.
    Best choice as a core box material for silicate bonded sand is cast or machined urethane. Dusting with talc is all you need as a release agent.
    If you have a wood core box, the best paint is epoxy paint. It is both durable and chemically resistant.
    If you are using a self setting silicate, the only paint that will work is epoxy paint. The ester catalysts can be strong solvents for all other paints.
    Silicone does not work well. If the core box material is porous, fill up the pores with paste wax or epoxy paint.

Tobho Mott and Melterskelter like this.
  15. Melterskelter

Tom, as you could see in the video linked in post 12 I got a nice release from the lacquer/WAX/graphite combo. Maybe the wax is key to preventing the silicate from attacking the lacquer. Anyway, I'll see what I can find in the way of epoxy paints in less than gallon (100 dollar roughly) quantities. I assume that epoxy paints have less viscosity than the West System epoxy I already have in the shop. That stuff is pretty viscous and I think would tend to blur out letter that I include in my patterns. I do use West System epoxy for filletting long stright inside corners and love it for that purpose.

Denis

16. Tom Cobett

Tom Cobett Silver

You can buy epoxy spray paint at Home Depot or Lowe’s.

17. Melterskelter

How do they manage to put an epoxy paint (usually two-part) into a spray can? I’ll check it out.

Denis

18. Tom Cobett

Tom Cobett Silver

A one part epoxy contains a ketamine or similar amine that reacts with the moisture in the air to polymerize the epoxy. Been around for years!

Melterskelter likes this.
  19. Melterskelter

That clue caused me to look up single-part epoxy coatings. For the curious I found this brief background page:

https://roboticsandautomationnews.c...oating-and-technology-across-the-years/36472/

I was struck by the use of ketamine in epoxy when I was much more familiar with its use in humans and animals as an anesthetic agent and, in humans, a psychoactive agent. Near as I can tell we are talking the same compound and not a class of compounds loosely referred to as “ketamine.”

Denis

20. Al2O3

I'll preface below by saying what's commonly done in practice isn't always what's optimal or even recommended. Hobbyist are always looking to use what they have, but those materials may not always lead to the best castings or results. Point being, not challenging your comments, just remarking on what is often practiced and trying to learn something here.
    That I didn't know and would make iron a poor choice.
    Hadn't thought about the (PH) basic nature of of uncured SS......would attack aluminum. That said, I've seen them used to make a lot of SS cores. I suspect they must naturally form a protective oxide layer under the graphite and parting compounds to resist attack.
    Made many, many, urethane core boxes. Never knew it was best choice because of chemical compatibility, but I can say the elastomeric urethane boxes were tough as nails, extremely impact and abrasion resistant, and would make a large number of cores. The rigid urethane boxes were good, just not nearly as durable. Both were convenient and very accurately reproduced detail from the master and if you ever needed a new box, just pop another from the master.

Curiosity question, if epoxies are the best paints, why not epoxy tooling resins for core boxes? Don't think you'd ever get the durability of the elastomeric urethanes but since machining was mentioned, it must have been a reference to rigid urethane. Or in a similar vane, why not catalyzed urethane paints for wood coated core boxes? They are common automotive coatings and more likely in hand for hobbyists.

That's good to know but must be relatively easily mitigated with parting compounds because I've seen lacquer covered wooden boxes used in small foundries and here at THF, even with phenolic resins. Certainly doesn't mean they are the best or even a good choice. I think Melterskelter has been using ester catalyzed SS cores in his lacquer covered wooden boxes for several years now......but then again he is looking for better parting compounds. If you are a home hobbyist, and you have time invested into making a core box, you probably just need to decide how much it's worth risking using what you have versus what would be the best, but many will not be willing to purchase $100 worth of two part epoxy paint for a small project. It also requires special PPE care if you intend to spray it.

Out of curiosity, how does shellac fair with SS? Certainly an old school pattern coating.

Would have to think this is why one can often get by why suboptimal but porous coatings.

Thanks for the inputs,

Best,
    Kelly