Which milling machine model?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jan 31, 2021.

1. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

3. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I saw a listing for a Brideport VMC On FB in IN $10K it's 20"x40" work area.
    Currently running Way out of my league (size, $$$,)

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Just been offered a chance at a bridgeport and a Harrison 6 foot bed lathe, tying to get model details is like pulling teeth and it's a mate of mine! He runs a big engineering shop and is going totally CNC.

Do I take unit space and ..............

Mark's castings and Jason like this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

JUMP ON IT PEEDEE!

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Pics!! Sounds like a deal

7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Details are sketchy but I remember the lathe from when I was his place years ago, very tidy capable machine. I may have a chance at an office job that could blow the deal as I'd have to make them both pay if I bought them.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

9. DavidF

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

What about this BP? It is CNC capable and the ways look freshly scraped.

"Just upgraded Bridgeport software. 2 axis. Down sizing and selling extra mill. Works great just don’t need it. Priced TO SELL $4500 OBO must move owner retiring. Come look make offer. Would trade to 5-6000 pound fork truck"
    a.jpg aa.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg

11. DavidF

12. DavidF

13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oh wow that first one is beautiful looks freshly scraped in. In mint condition almost. Cnc and priced perfectly. I'd love that machine.

I wonder how I'd get it. Its in NJ and I've got call this weekend. Hmmm. I also don't have a truck and hiring one would cost me almost $1000 to drive it back and forth from jersey. I don't know anyone here who could lend me one.

14. DavidF

No you wouldn't....
    It's only cnc'd on the x and y axis, not on the z
    It's old and outdated and would likely need a retrofit.
    That 600.00 bridgeport clone would serve you better for starters...

15. In post #130, that's not scraping, it's decorative flaking as indicated by the regular pattern formed. It's supposed to be done after being scraped in to provide a surface for the oil but is done a lot to hide worn rusty ways by secondhand machine tool sellers. In the photos there's no underlying random pattern of scrape marks in all directions. Without taking a closer look, the ways probably got "suntanned" just like the other way surfaces and it was given a a cosmetic freshen up. It's possible that it was made that way but I doubt Bridgeport did more than grind ways when manufacturing them.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Wait what?! So flaking doesn't mean its scraped in??

Darn I had thought it showed it was perfectly scraped in and without a lot of wear. Didn't realize it didn't mean anything except decoration.

Damn. That makes finding a good quality non-worn mill both easier and harder now. I suppose I'll have to bring my indicator and check ways on each machine.

Any thoughts on that 2XT model? I wonder what the CNC is like on it. Are parts easily replaceable for the computer? I wonder what program it uses or what files it accepts? CAD?

That one for 2500 in jersey looks like a nice machine (mainly because it looks flaked/scraped in and paint looks new?) but if the monitor is not working then who knows if it can be fixed or not. I'm not even sure if it can be manually used or if it is purely a CNC machine. Or if a new CNC computer can be added to the old servo motors and control them.

Lots of unanswered questions

17. That $600 Lioho looks to be a really good deal, they are a clone of a Bridgeport model J according to the net from the 60's and 70's. While there's rust on the table, the ways still appear to be rust free. You would be surprised at how well a cast iron table cleans up with a bit of steel wool or a scraper as it rusts a lot slower than mild steel. I would be all over that Lioho in a flash.

On second thought the flaking may be factory to elimination "sticktion" after the ways were machined. It's no indication of a rebuilt machine when you find it even though a rebuilt machine can have it applied after being rescraped. The rationale is that flaking leaves micro pockets for the oil to fill, reducing initial friction. Others say it increases wear by trapping dirt on the ways.

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Its far away tho and I'd need to rent a truck which would cost me hundreds to $1000 so its not as good of a deal in that respect. Maybe if I was closer on that machine. The other one might be doable due to the specific CNC capabilities and price given distance and extra cost if it was easily fixable.

19. The logistics would be to swing the head upside down, lower the knee and table onto some wood blocks to take the vertical load off the bronze nut and ratchet strap it down to a hardwood pallet (we get some 2000Kg rated pallets in Australia) before hiring a crane truck to take it to a freight depot. Not at all easy or even cheap to do, $1000 + fuel + forklift hire would make a local $2000 unit competitive although moving across town will also cost money, say $500.

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Well on my end I live like 300 ft away from a storage warehouse for a machine shop. They have fork lifts there and said they could help me unload the mill for a couple bucks (like a $20) after work one day so that sorts out my end. On the seller's side I've seen most places have fork lifts, tractors or cranes in their shops to load up. I'd just get a trailer and attach to a truck then strap the crap out of it. I just don't own a truck to pull the trailer so its going to cost me a lot to rent and drive 1000 miles round trip.