Wisconsin new guy

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by pmac1321, May 12, 2020.

1. pmac1321

pmac1321 Copper

I haven't cast anything since high school shop class a few decades ago. I've been machining, and programed CNC machines most of working life. Recently I got out of the manufacturing world. Bottom line is, I miss making things out of nothing. It looks like I will be able to learn a lot here. Thank you for the add.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome aboard pmac!!

3. pmac1321

pmac1321 Copper

just reading some stuff about wax work. I think I need to slow down and just melt some brass and see if I can get it to look like something first.

4. dtsh

dtsh Silver

Welcome neighbor

5. DavidF

You might want to start off with some aluminum first, brass can be a bit finicky for one just starting out...

6. Jason

Jason Gold

You guys KNOW this was coming....:D B R O N Z E! The stuff is an absolute sweetheart to work with.
    What are you thinking of making? You mentioned wax! Does this mean you might have some sculpting talent? I have next to zero talent, but only run wax and bronze.
    Having the desire is step one. Now spitball what you'd like to make and then you can nail down your process.
    A furnace is a furnace, they all do the same thing at the end of the day. Welcome, you found the right forum online for this stuff. It's very active here and
    people are all too happy to help. Your success is also our success!;)

7. DavidF

Just dont give Jason your address...
    He likes to mail out "presents" ;):rolleyes:
    You have been warned!! :eek::D:D

8. Jason

Jason Gold

BP's R US! You still got that thing sitting on your desk?:p

9. dtsh

dtsh Silver

It might not be on the desk.....

OMM and Jason like this.
  10. DavidF

It's out in a box in the garage waiting for a worthy recipient...

11. rocco

rocco Silver

You read my mind.
    To pmac1321: at this point you're probably thinking WTF are these guys talking about, just ignore it.
    Welcome.

12. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome fellow Midwesterner!!

Best,
    Kelly

13. Jason

Jason Gold

:eek::eek::eek::D

14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

"To pmac1321: at this point you're probably thinking WTF are these guys talking about, just ignore it"

To clarify Jason casts sex toys, he doesn't like people to discuss it openly but you can find his site on the dark web somewhere.

Has anyone mentioned we have a distinct poor sense of humour on here ;)

Hang around, there is a lot of extremely good knowledge (myself excluded)

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Welcome to the nuthouse, pmac!

Jeff

16. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome pmac. You'll like it here. We've got a wrench for every nut and making something out of nothing is one of the things we do best. The banter above is just some light humor. Given the time and effort folks around here put into their projects it's easy to see how seriously they approach the craft. You'll hear the language of many trades and experiences here so we'll be interested to see what you bring to the party and maybe we can help you along the way. So yeah, spitball your goal ideas and let's get started. Furnace, fuel, burner, casting medium, ... Let's go!
    Pete

Jason likes this.
  17. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I hope we didn't scare him away with all that talk about Jason's D development! :eek::D

What kind of stuff do you want to cast, pmac? Parts or arts?

Jeff

OMM likes this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

LMAO.... That was rich! :D I'd give you the link to the original BP thread, but AA is titsUp these days.

OMM likes this.
  19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Have we scared him off? We have rather trashed his intro thread :(

Come back, it's not normally this nutty here!

20. pmac1321

pmac1321 Copper

OK, this sounds like it's going to be fun. I'm thinking about making parts to customize stuff. Maybe some nik nac things like the little cannons my grandpa had. I'm thinking brass because plenty of spent brass cases so material is free. I made a furnace with plaster of Paris powered by charcoal and a hair dryer. I got it hot enough to melt aluminum cans and make ingots, but that's as far as I got. I should be ready to fire up the new LP gas furnace within a week. I'm still not sure what my first attempt will be.

Thanks for the warm welcome

DavidF, OMM and Jason like this.