Would You Use This?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by bill, Feb 21, 2021.

1. bill

bill Silver

Anyone think this is good for a couple more melts. LOL I only use this for aluminum so not so hot when up to pouring temps. The last time I used this it was a bit unnerving. I have a new one coming. Do you think I could take my crucible I use for copper and copper/alloys and use that for aluminum without lets say effing up the aluminum. The other one is pretty clean compared to this one. This goes back to the over fluxing period of my casting journey. Does anyone cast pure copper without alloying it at all. 100% maybe just a flash of zinc in the last 20 seconds.
    IMG_3041.JPEG IMG_3042.JPEG

2. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

I don't think I have the bravery to use that even for aluminum.:eek: I tried using one that was in similar condition before, but when I started to lift it out of the furnace the bottom fell off.:oops: That made a pretty big mess but thankfully I have a hole in the bottom of my furnace so most of the aluminum just spilled out on the ground.
    I don't think there is much of a problem using your copper crucible for aluminum as long as you are not trying to make a perfect alloy. I do it all the time.;) But I only use that one for art casting so in my opinion it is okay.
    Patrick

3. bill

bill Silver

It was a bit scary flexing and bowing all the way to the flask watching the crack open and close. I guess if it broke in the furnace I would have a good excuse to build a better one. The one I have was built with zero investment other than making the burner. Already had the ceramic fiber and old propane tank.

4. myfordboy

myfordboy Silver

Don't even think about using that crucible again. What if it breaks whilst carrying it to the mould spilling metal everywhere, on your feet, splashing up on your body?

dtsh and Tobho Mott like this.
  5. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I would still use it.... as a flower pot....

Tobho Mott and dennis like this.
  6. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I retired this one. Just too scary for me to use.

IMG_3818.JPG

7. bill

bill Silver

I was always more worried about it busting and hitting the propane hose. HaHa

Its in the graveyard now. New one coming this week.

I found the big crucible last year while fishing not far from my house. Like 1 minute away. When I was a kid we used to ride our bikes down there and It was an old foundry. We always called it the bronze foundry. No idea what the name was though I have researched it in the past without any luck. I fished there most of my life when living in this area but never in that spot. I stepped over it in the tall wild grass and weeds and I thought it was a rock.....and then I saw the Borax Flux melted down the side. A year ago I wouldn't have even have known what borax was other than laundry soap stuff. So I hid it like it was a treasure and went back 6 months later with help to remove it. It wasn't easy. Wonder how much that would have held??? Most of it is broken off but the bottom is still intact to a degree. Mine are #3 4kg pro cast.

IMG_3047.jpeg

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I have a general rule with stuff that isn't safe that involves a hammer and a vice. That way nobody comes behind you and picks it out of the trash.

Just last week I crushed a plug adapter, I know at least one person at work who would have fished it out of the bin.

9. bill

bill Silver

All jokes aside...butt I'm not sure what that is.

Luckily I dont have to worry about anyone using the old stuff.

The big crucible may have been broken intentionally but I dont think so. It's been in the ground for 75-80 years. It's amazing a clay graphite crucible could last that long half buried in the ground.

10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I used to work in the in-plant printshop at Fisher Price Toys years ago. The factory facilities department was pretty liberal about giving away/selling off excess industrial equipment, retired light fixtures, etc. You could take anything as long as you had a written pass from the head of facilities and it was on the up-and-up. Then all of a sudden they tightened right up. You couldn't get a thumbtack out of that place. Liability, I'm sure. Our shop retired a printing press once. It was a relatively small one as presses go, but it still weighed about 7000lbs. It had no resale value so they decided to scrap it. I was walking out to go to lunch one day and saw a guy in a high-lift pick that press up and drop it a dumpster repeatedly. Job done.

Pete

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

In the UK we have these multiple sided wall plugs that lets you plug half the world into one single 13A outlet, I hate them and this one looked very sorry so it took the death vice grip.

Crash helmets are another one, if I retire a helmet it gets the hammer treatment on the way out.

I had a boss who would cut a plug off a tool if the insulation was pulled back from the grip and just leave it on the bench to be re-wired, kinda statement about safety, if you want to use it you'll have to re-wire it!

12. bill

bill Silver

The guy I worked for cut the plug off of a space heater once. Said it was dangerous. I stripped the insulation off of the wires and shoved it into the wall socket without a plug. He was mortified....

Petee716 likes this.
  13. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

HA!! There's at least ONE in every crowd!

14. dtsh

dtsh Silver

As a very young man I worked with a farmer who's outside light was like that. Seemed like he'd shock himself every 10th time plugging it in, but never stopped to put a plug on it. I have little doubt that it was like that when he died many years later (not from this or any other foolishness surprisingly)

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Before UK plug pins became part shielded it was quite easy to strip the wires shove them in and use another plug to hold them in place. I had three things in my bedroom single socket like that until my dad went nuts!

16. bill

bill Silver

Never thought of that....

17. bill

bill Silver

No point in being fancy....

Wouldn't do it near livestock though!