WWII fighter planes

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Peedee, Aug 14, 2020.

1. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I would like to know who is crawling in the wing to buck them suckers!
    It's going to be long day if you have to taper each hole for a flush rivet.

2. Clay

Clay Copper

3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

No crawling in Bonz, someone with a huge amount of experience is working out how the rivet sequence will go and then hoping he's got it right or it's drill them out and start all over again! Quite a lot of them are indeed flush! Hell, just the light deburring the holes is going to take an age.

Most of those are conventional clecos but we use some with a thumb-wheel that clamp up tight in difficult to hold spots. Next week that wing will be reduced to a skeleton again and the riveting starts. I'll take the camera in to get better photos.

Edit: I should add, one hole in the wrong place and a panel and stringer could be reduced to scrap, no pressure on the newbie then :S

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  4. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

PeeDee is pommieLand. Those aren't cleco's, they are skin pins :)

PeeDee wrote:
    "That Al sheet only folds across the mill grain, try to bend in the direction it was drawn and it snaps like frozen toffee"
    Bends in either direction need adequate bend radius. More with the grain than across it, but aviation has standards for minimum bend radius.
    Mark

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I had to look that one up... Pommyland.

6. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Double post, don't know how that happened?

7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

That was bit strange my post appeared twice then completely disapeared. In any case, Mark knows a lot more about this stuff than I do, the older chap who is tasked with kicking me into shape folded a bit of untreated material as a shoe to make a generous radius for the T3 material I was folding. He then challenged me to fold a bit of T3 without it, along the grain and it pinged about 30 degrees in. I've never dealt with alminium like it.

I call them clecos but they call them skin pins. I'm now trying to shift my head back into imperial measurements and SWG, given I was dragged up through a metric generation but with my father feeding me imperial I'm as confused as ever!

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

This taxied up to the hanger doors yesterday, they popped by for a chat, as you do.....
    Harvard.jpg not my photo as my phone had died.

The bosses daily driver is a MK2 Jaguar! This place gets more and more surreal by the day. Landing gear on the hurricane all stripped and off for X-ray and ultrasound testing along with the aerlion.

Have I mentioned the Studerbaker truck we a restoring as a works van?

rocco, DavidF and Tobho Mott like this.
  9. rocco

rocco Silver

I see this very similar looking aircraft all the time, a Harvard trainer.

CWH Harvard.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

That's one of them Rocco, I'm just not used to working in a place where a WW2 Harvard just rocks up to the 'garage' door :)

I'm eyeing up the slip rolls and panel swaging gear with a new furnace in mind........ watch this space I may be casting again soon (but not aviation stuff!!)

Tobho Mott likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Tough job ya got there Peedee. Good on ya!

12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Cheers Jason, this afternoon I get to drill out the rivets I fecked up this morning LOl! :)

Jason likes this.
  13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Four bolts and the wing fell off...........
    WP_20200909_001.jpg

I also now have a perfect 3/32" hole in my hand because my hand seemed more sacrificial than the skin I was topping the rivets off. Good job the bone stopped the bit... I think.

Will take in a camera to get some decent pics of the port wing structure now it is going together

14. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Be careful there PeeDee. Hold a peice of wood behind the skin when you drill, it hurts less.
    Mark

15. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

That kind of penetrating wound to the hand is very worrisome. With all the structural complexity of the bones, muscles, skin, nerves and vasculature, a “minor” deeply penetrating hand wound can morph into a major problem in no time. If you hit bone, you have introduced bacteria into areas not well equipped to fight them. I would suggest at an absolute minimum confirming you have had a recent tetanus shot, elevating the hand for a few days, and warm packing it 4 times a day for two days. I make that recommendation based on the general resistance many folks demonstrate to taking appropriate action. Ignoring it is not appropriate action.

I ding my hands all the time with nicks and cuts and normally crazy glue and duct tape are all I do for personal non-penetrating wounds. Penetrating wounds warrant careful evaluation—-urgent care and probably prophylactic antibiotics and a tetanus update if it is not in the last 3 years. The window for prophylactic antibiotic initiation is short...

I would not take such a wound casually. Here is quote from UpToDate, a reference I consulted multiple times daily when I was an active Family Practice physician.

“ For patients who have received fewer than three doses or an unknown number of doses of a tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine, tetanus immunization should be administered (table 1) [4]. The preferred vaccine preparation depends upon the age and vaccination history of the patient. For patients with clean minor wounds who have received three or more doses of a tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine, another dose should be given only if the last dose was given 10 or more years ago. For patients with wounds that are more severe than a clean and minor wound (such as, but not limited to, wounds contaminated with dirt, feces, soil, or saliva; puncture wounds; avulsions; wounds resulting from missiles, crushing, burns, or frostbite) who have received three or more doses of a tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine, another dose should be given only if the last dose was given five or more years ago. The vaccine series should be continued through completion as necessary. If there is any doubt about whether or not an adult received the primary series, three doses of Td or Tdap (with Tdap given for at least one of the doses) should be administered; the first dose and second dose should be separated by four weeks and the third dose should be given 6 to 12 months later (figure 2 and figure 3).

Since inadequate protection against diphtheria and tetanus often occur together [1], Td or Tdap is the preferred vaccine, not tetanus toxoid alone. (See 'Routine adult immunization' above and "Pertussis infection in adolescents and adults: Treatment and prevention", section on 'Prevention'.)

In addition to tetanus immunization, human tetanus immune globulin (250 units intramuscularly [IM]) is indicated in individuals who have sustained a wound that is more severe than a clean and minor wound (eg, wounds contaminated with dirt, feces, soil, or saliva; puncture wounds; avulsions; wounds resulting from missiles, crushing, burns, or frostbite) and who have either received fewer than three doses of tetanus toxoid previously or in whom the number of previous doses is unknown. Tetanus immune globulin is also recommended for HIV-infected patients and severely immunocompromised patients with concerning wounds, regardless of their tetanus immunization history [2].

Appropriate tetanus prophylaxis should be administered as soon as possible following a wound but should be given even to patients who present late for medical attention. This is because the incubation period is quite variable; the incubation period of tetanus is approximately 8 days but ranges from 3 to 21 days [10]. (See "Tetanus", section on 'Incubation period'.)“

Sorry for the Dutch Uncle lecture. It is well-intended.

Denis

Rotarysmp likes this.
  16. FishbonzWV

I did that once when I was building these. You learn quick to keep your hand out of the way.

Boat seat 700-horz.jpg

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Dennis, I think you are probably right and I've been a bit slack about it. Three days and it is still swollen and the joint hurts. I'll call the doc this morning.

Edit: No need to apologise, they are wise words and I'm know for being pig-headed about these sort of things

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  18. FishbonzWV

Having suffered a few drill injuries over my lifetime, including one to the shin bone with a spade bit that required a couple stitches, I've realized they hurt about three times more and three times longer than a similar non-drill injury. Those suckers hurt!

19. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Peer,

I am sorry to hear the wound is still painful, but that is one more good reason to check this one out. Most likely all is well. However, I learned early on that penetrating wound to bone, and worse to joints, can cause serious problems. Osteomyelitis and septic arthritis are conditions not to be trifled with.

The intent of my “lecture” was two-fold. One was to encourage you in particular to get appropriate medical attention for this particular wound. The second reason I popped off was to increase awareness of the group for complication from this sort of injury. I expected a fair number of folks to chime in about how they suffered a similar injury and not to worry as, yah it sucked, but everything turned out ok despite just “soldiering” on. And that is how it will work out most of the time. But infection in a bone or joint happens too often (I cared for such folks in my medical career) and they required often multiple surgeries, prolonged antibiotics, and considerable life disruption during the treatment and recovery process. Deeply penetrating wounds to incredibly complex areas like the hand and foot are the worst offenders. One other “tip” is that I found elevating a nozt-seriously,y infected hand or foot for prolonged periods helped improve dRainage of blood and lymph from the area and helped enormously in resolving infection as did hot packing infections.

So, my guess is you’ll be fine. But, some action to help ensure that outcome is worth the inconvenience and, in your case since you live in the UK, no expense.

Please keep us posted on how it all goes.

Denis

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Several thousand rivets and the new stringers are back in the port wing, I only chopped about a dozen with the blocks.

The two seat hurricane is coming back for its 25hr so I'll make sure I get video.