WWII fighter planes

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Peedee, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Peedee

Peedee Silver

1200 horses of Rolls Royce muscle rebuilt to zero-hours..... WP_20201119_002.jpg

Clay, Jason and Mark's castings like this.
  2. Peedee

Peedee Silver

A better view of the Merlin III ready to by hoisted in and plumbed
    WP_20201123_002.jpg

My early morning view whilst supping coffee on the mezanine
    WP_20201123_005.jpg

We can't seem to leave anything in one piece for long
    WP_20201123_003.jpg

Clay, Jason and Tobho Mott like this.
  3. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Glad this job is working out well for you PeeDee.

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Thanks, I'm on a rolling contract but will enjoy every minute I can and who knows, we may get another project soon....

5. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Whoop, contract extended to end of March (unless I screw up a very expensive panel today!)

One very large time consuming panel with around a thousand rivet holes it in was 'bounced' from a great height in the spray booth last week, straight down on a corner (that is no longer a corner!) Glad that I wasn't around when that happened!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. OMM

OMM Silver

I love the fact that you are re-storing old airplanes. I personally like to follow new airplanes... but, I like to follow the history.

Even the bearings used at one point were SKF or Hoffmann. I know it's difficult to get a hold of some new old stock. Timkin bearings are making some of the best bearings around the world right now. But I do like to get original bearings when I can.

Few years ago I got shipped from Australia Hoffman bearings that were double row self aligning bronze cage. They were new old stock and cost me a pretty penny. Hoffman and SKF used to produce bearings specialized for Rolls-Royce engines. Even grease for these bearings is pretty specialized. I know... $30 a tube or $100 for a 1 L paint pail is a kick in the nuts. I only have three machines that need LGLT2/1SKF bearing grease.

7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

This is the lady pilot and the MkII 2 seater

hawker.jpg

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Damn this covid b**ll**x, one full day back and I have to wait for my duaghters test results before I can go back (I'm being responsible, I'm a contractor so I don't get paid so would rather be working)

In any case I managed to strip one of the three fuel tanks ready for re-coating, the fecking great hole in it has been repaired and how that MK1 didn't go up in flames when he crashed it is a mystery. Part of the landing gear punched a fist sized hole clean through it!

More photo's if and when I get back.

9. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  10. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Peedee, I just came across your post while I was reading this thread, - you probably have AC 43, but in case you don’t, here is a link to the full on line 646 page aircraft bible. It covers everything including wood, glue, fabric and hardware, a little bit of light reading while you are on lockdown:D
    Jim

11. rocco

rocco Silver

You forgot to include the link.

12. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Thanks Jim, that should keep me busy!

Back in today, tests came back clear, and yes they actually pay ME to do this stuff :) Not sure how long we'll avoid another closure though.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

That engine is a masterpiece! Sorry about the level 5 lockdown nonsense Peedee. Nothing like punishing the healthy. :rolleyes:

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Closure looking imminant, waiting for management verdict but if we break the rules the fine starts at £200k....

16. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

Peedee,
    From my understanding, the government want people to work - the rules are work from home if you can but if not you can travel to work. Very hard to work on a Hurricane or a Merlin on the kitchen table, so I would have thought that Hawker Restorations would be in the clear. I have been working in my hanger today, installing a 2 axis autopilot.
    Jim

17. Jason

Jason Gold

This is how it works, punish the healthy for a cold!

18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I did ask if I could take one of the Hurricanes home with me and work from there but just got 'that look'. I was tempted to bring one of the fuel tanks back and strip/ prep that and the wife gave me 'that look'

People are no fun! (That said MEK smells like hell so stripping a tank in the living room would be a fair no-no and I have no space to park a Hurricane at the house)

Jim Edgeworth likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

MEK is some of the most foul stuff I've ever worked with. You do know this shit will attack your liver right? Always make the new kid use it. I avoid it as much as I can, but I do understand it's importance.