Wax techniques

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by fakedoc, Dec 7, 2018.

1. fakedoc

fakedoc Copper

Step 1 it is me learning wax rod creations with aluminum square tubing

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. fakedoc

fakedoc Copper

Step 2

3. fakedoc

fakedoc Copper

Step 3

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Heh I sound weird on video.

Looks good. This will be a good thread to keep together all the basic how to do wax videos as you learn.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

Step 4. Do this stuff in the garage or you're wife will castrate you! Wax can and WILL make a royal mess. I recommend a nice piece of stainless on your work bench. You'll be able to happily scrape up the drips with a razor blade.

6. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Welcome!
    This will be of great interest to me as lost wax is high on my list of things to try. I have had the opportunity to see the process commercially but only as a casual observed and found it fascinating..
    On my past job. I had the great opportunity to see many commercial foundries. Some with induction furnaces that were big enough to put a pick up truck in and a lot of others that used furnaces that did 500 Lb melts but the lost wax for its accuracy and for lack of a better word eloquence. Was truly impressive.
    I will be watching this thread with great anticipation. Thank you for the excellent quality video.
    Joe

7. fakedoc

fakedoc Copper

Step 4 never uploaded previously. Last step in the process.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Note to self... When shooting video with a phone, hold the thing sideways.

DavidF likes this.
  9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah good note. Tomorrow we will test the wax burnout furnace and do another melt. I'll film (sideways) fakedoc as he pours .

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Here's a brilliant wax technique by a lady that LOVES TO EAT.
    Seriously, I don't know why I didn't think of this one. File it away in the ol brain, bet it will come in handy.

And another take on the water soaked plaster, dump in the wax method..

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Ugg, wax :confused:
    I'm working under a magnifying glass "tig welding" up tiny defects on the flying skull hood ornaments and then this job shows up.
    Had straighten it out just to be able to pull a mold from it so I can make a wax pattern to further refine then take another mold from it and cast in pewter... What a pita wax is..:mad:
    20190427_090919.jpg

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice classic part. Ya gotta make peace with wax. Took me a year to warm up to the stuff.

13. DavidF

Oh I'm at peace with he wax, but the figgin shit is so time consuming.... Working on building a couple new pieces of equipment to speed things up a bit....;):)

14. Jason

Jason Gold

15. DavidF

Yes, been using it for a few years now. Great for making cores, then shoot the wax around them and dissolve it out. Some of those have trouble with cracking as it cools and shrinks (especially with larger cores) I get some from ??? I think romanoff?? that does not have this issue... But they all degrade if you leave them in the wax pot heated up too long....

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Where was it when I was trying to boiling out shell???o_O Would it work for the bronze casting I do?

17. DavidF

18. DavidF

I dont think you would like it for what you do.... Try the red!!

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Man, now THAT is some expensive wax. I'll try the red.

20. DavidF