Which milling machine model?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Some of my bigger cutters, 1-1/4" inch shanks
    20190112_175207.jpg 20190112_174121.jpg

2. A quick test is that tungsten carbide is only weakly attractive to neodymium supermagnets due to a small amount of cobalt binder used. Tool steel is strongly attracted to the point you might cut yourself on the tooling or chip the cutting edges if not careful.

Jason likes this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What's that Cincinnati weigh in at??
    How would you move it??
    Thought you wanted to go cnc??

4. DavidF

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Unsure the weight. They can load it on a trailer in their end and I found a business down the road that has fork lifts that can unload it into my garage. Not sure the weight I'd guess 5000 lbs? Will have to research it.

I'd like cnc. I need to do research on it more. Seems like a lot of the cnc machines use old computer software and cannot be repaired. So I might be better off buying a good machine and upgrading it myself with a servo kit? At least that way there are more options and up to date technology.

Alternatively I could try sell all the cutters and just buy new ones for a smaller machine but that is a lot of work to sell individual parts.

I use steel mostly for projects. The 940 seems to work well with aluminum but would it with steel?

6. DavidF

Even my little go704 will mill steel... the pm940 is about the same rigity as a Bridgeport imho.

And I've swung this in my BP. NOT quickly, but just enough to mill .005" off cast iron cylinder heads..
    20210424_104815.jpg

7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Here's another cinncinati. It a 5 hp machine, 4500 lbs. Seems in good condition via photos, price negotiable. Not sure if this is the one I'll get just looking at available options.
    Screenshot_20210424-111101_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210424-111229_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210424-111129_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210424-111213_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210424-111149_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20210424-111200_Facebook.jpg

Petee716 likes this.
  8. DavidF

Yea, now that's what I'm talking about. Nice machine..

9. Clay

Clay Copper

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  10. DavidF

Reality check... although that is a nice machine..
    That's just too much machine for a home hobbiest... would occupy alot of shop space, and would likely need a rotary phase converter to drive it...
    Tone it down Zap, and forget about that big tooling that would be a fortune to replace.

Jason likes this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Minus the stuff with the taper, I didnt see much there a bridgeport wouldnt turn. I'd keep the end Mills, the broach stuff, sine bar, circular cutters and ditch the rest.

That machine is nice, but the reason its 2grand is no one wants it. I bet I can find 5 people today by 6pm that would want my nasty ol bridgeport. Moving that cincy and powering it is a big issue. Neither is cheap to do. Trust me pal, I'd walk away from that monster.

12. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

That big cinnci is a heck of a machine.... But It's a big girl! I have a big shop and I'd have to think twice about it. Mainly because I don't have 3 phase service. I'd have to spend 2x the cost of the mill on a Rotary phase setup (yes I could cheap out and cobble one together but really just want to use the machine not putz with it in my limited spare time).

13. DavidF

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Nice machine! Better be! $5500 is pretty good amount of dough. I bet those ball screws were a couple grand for that thing.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Thats exactly the kind of machine I'm looking for! 5500 is pretty steep but I would love to have one in that condition. The table even looks like its been scraped flat.

Is 2 hp enough? Am I obsessing about hp too much?

In terms of power supply, why a rotary? Won't vfd power supply work too?

I figure no matter the 3 phase option I choose its going to be pricey. Lucky I already have the power cable from the scrap yard.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Mine is 2hp on a cheap VFD. No complaints on power at all!

17. DavidF

Ever try and stop a horse? Lol...

It all comes down to the depth and width of your cut and the chip load per tooth. A big machine can hog some serious metal in a single pass, but a little machine can still do the job but with a few more passes.

Maybe you should plan a summer visit to my farm for a couple days this summer for some hands on experience on "old clunky" so you know what to expect. I can also demo the g0704 cnc and the pm 940 cnc for ya.

I was just bidding on a little cnc mill, an emco concept mill 55. Very small with only 7.5" x and 5.5 y travels. But it had an 8 position tool changer. Thought it would be cool for small jobs. Damn thing sold for double what I though it was worth @ $4550.00

18. DavidF

19. Fulmen

Fulmen Silver

On a bridgeport? Me thinks so. It's not really stable enough for heavy hogging. I also have a 2hp BP on a VDF, works like a charm. The BP electronics is single phase, so the VDF is wired to the motor only. The coolant pump needed a capacitor though.

20. Jason

Jason Gold

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021