Buy a house?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Jul 12, 2020.

1. rocco

rocco Silver

The person that told me those stories worked for what would later be known as TRW, the plant he worked at employed close to 1000 people. Any thing that had an electric motor either needed the motor replaced or needed to be connected to a phase converter, doing that in a timely manner and with as little disruption as possible, was a monumental undertaking. Now imagine that at thousands of companies large and small, continent wide.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yea I can only imagine how much it would have sucked to buy the wrong version of a machine one week and then the very next week find out it is obsolete.

Hey anyone have a recommendation for how to connect 2" PVC pip with a flexible joint using something food safe? I've seen some 2" diameter PVC pipes that are used for ponds and pools that look like they might work but I've never used them before and don't know how they react with PVC cement or if they need barbs? Or maybe there is something else I haven't considered?

I'm linking some 275g totes together to catch rain and don't want them to settle at different rates and rip apart a rigid pipe system.

3. Jason

Jason Gold

I think you were using IBC's. Can you link them at the outlets on the bottom? Once there is 50gallons of water in each of them, I doubt they will walk away from each other. If you use a threaded nut, the bigger issue will be finding a kid skinny enough to stuff down the hole in the top capable of holding the nut on the inside!:D

4. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

120k? HAHAHAHA that chump change where I live. And Im poor!!!

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I've figured out how to link them up. I got food grade 2" branded hose and some 2 inch barbs to attach to the flanges. I installed the flanges with my mum's help and one of those pincer grabber extra reach arm things that people use to pick up trash or get stuff from the top shelf.

I would have installed all the tubing but I saw a wild roach on my tote and got a bit grossed out. Sprayed poison all around the garage perimeter and the base of the totes and left it for a few days to clear them out. I think they set up shop in my wood pile which is 6 feet away, or maybe they are attracted to the used fructose corn syrup ibc totes I bought....

I sprayed the cinderblocks that support the fire wood too. They may be wild from the forest/area or maybe they just came from the neighbors house who recently died and her house is falling apart and full of mold and hoarder crap. Either way they'll all be dead soon.

Will update when I'm done with plumbing it all.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Went to the junk yard and found a nice used dewalt grinder. Picked it up for $2, took it apart and cleaned it, sand blasted off all the crud, replaced the cut cord with one lying around my hoard. Bought the guard, flange nuts and a handle for a couple bucks online. Now I've got a second grinder. No more swapping grinding bits. Works great!

20210528_225516.jpg 20210528_225530.jpg

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Way to go! Don't forget to grease the head. I hate having to swap wheels when I've got something going on. A 2nd grinder is a good idea.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'd like to get a live center that can fit onto this shaft. What will work? How does the nomenclature work?

20210529_145456.jpg 20210529_145509.jpg 20210529_145442.jpg

9. Clay

Clay Copper

Sure that appears to be a Morse Taper 2 to 3 adapter that your chuck is in, there is a wedge accessory that is used to seperate them. Live centers are sold with either 2 Mt or 3 MT.

10. Yes, a bog standard morse taper 3 on the tailstock, it could benefit from a hit with a scotchbrite wheel to clean it a bit :). Morse taper 2 tooling like twist drills are commonly used on drill presses with a morse 2 spindle so that chuck would also fit a drill press. By using the 2 to 3 adapter sleeve you only need one set of drills to fit both the lathe and the drill press.

11. Jason

Jason Gold

MT3 looks like it to me.

12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

So does a morse taper 3 fit inside this piece I'm holding in the above photo or is the mt3 piece the equivalent of what I'm holding?

If I buy a mt3 live center will it be ready to pop into my tail stock?

Also why does it say 2 to 3? Will both a mt2 and mt3 work?

13. Yes Your tailstock is Morse Taper 3 so a MT3 live center will fit it. It says 2-3 because it's a MT2 to MT3 adapter sleeve: there's a MT2 female socket on the inside (with MT2 drill chuck fitted) and MT3 male taper on the outside. You can get a whole range of adapter sleeves to get where you're going even adapting a couple of sizes, like MT2-4 & MT3-5. I try to buy Morse 2 shank drills so I can use them in both lathe tailstocks (MT3 & MT5) as well as the MT2 drill press.

Jason likes this.
  14. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ok I think I understand now. Very nice. I'll have a look and see what I can scrounge up for live centering

DaveZ likes this.
  16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Painted the metal rack. Will maybe get plywood one day if it becomes affordable again to make the floor.
    20210606_221720.jpg

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Finally bought plywood. Got 2 pieces for $48 each. Ouch.

Anyway its done now and filled up with metal. Makes my shop so much more organized.

20210815_061924.jpg 20210815_061947.jpg

Petee716, Jason, SA7AEN and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks great Zap. A 2x4x8 the other day was 5bucks for me, much better than 20bucks!

Zapins likes this.
  19. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I need some advice. I bought this beautiful German die filer from a really cool machinist guy on facebook. But I do not know what these three parts are for (pointing to them). I assume they allow you to connect add-ons of some kind but im not sure what they would be. Also can't figure out a manual for this machine. I don't speak German to search for one. Any ideas what they are for?

20210820_123511.jpg 20210820_080451.jpg 20210820_080512.jpg
    And just because its so good looking here are some more pics

20210820_123459.jpg 20210820_123446.jpg 20210820_123534.jpg

20. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Worked on fixing the deck to my garage door over the weekend and planted garlic (red chesnok). Also bought and stacked up a whole cord of wood (double row of wood in pic). A good productive weekend.

Power washed the algae off, then bleached the deck and rinsed in vinegar then stained with oil. It matched the house color too. Over the next summer we will stain the entire deck like this on the back of the house.

IMG-20211023-WA0010.jpg IMG-20211023-WA0011.jpg IMG-20211023-WA0012.jpg IMG-20211023-WA0013.jpg IMG-20211023-WA0014.jpg IMG-20211023-WA0015.jpg IMG-20211023-WA0016.jpg
    20211022_185716.jpg 20211023_115218.jpg