Show me your lids please.

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Chazza, Aug 4, 2023.

1. Chazza

Chazza Silver

I am building a new furnace using refractory brick lining and held in place by a steel sheet-metal cylinder. I have seen some very good lids in various videos, so if you have one that doesn't require brute-force lifting and leaving it on the ground, like my old furnace, I would appreciate seeing yours.

Also, is there an ideal distance between the crucible and the wall of the furnace? My first furnace was probably about 1 1/2" but that was so long ago I can't be sure.

Crucible size is A 10,

Cheers Charlie

Tops likes this.
  2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

And you are making a resistive or fuel-fired furnace to melt what metals.

Denis

Tops likes this.
  3. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Chazza likes this.
  4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Here's how I did mine, both still holding up.

Heavier duty oil furnace lid (dense castable and fiber blanket, lift with pedal and swing to the side): http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...rnace-build-thread-highlight-reel.18/#post-90

Low mass propane furnace lid (ceramic fiber blanket and satanite, hinged to flip up):
    http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...t-fiber-blanket-furnace.726/page-2#post-15581

The propane furnace has seen a lot more use because it's the one I pick for one and done melts; it could ise a fresh coat of satanite now fwiw.

Aside from melting the zinc turny bits off the turnbuckles supporting the lid on the oil furnace, that lid is still in perfect shape. Doesn't seem to mind the loss of those supports (yet) but I'll fix that some day.

I remember reading a lot of older posts suggesting a propane burner only needs an inch or so of clearance between the hot face and crucible, ie. as long as your tongs can get in there, and that an oil burner does best with at least 2" clearance.

Jeff

Tops likes this.
  5. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

here this is the best lid i've seen and used , the cams are a PITA to get right and the swing out is going to put that hot lid hovering over something you dont want.
    this design, Lionels design, only has one shortcoming , you have to walk around the handle when in use, of course at that time "liftout" you NEED to be on the other size
    I highly recommend this, I owned a Hobby Melter, and Built one on the same design. lasted years of Hard use, I wish My current one was the same design, and unlike the Cam designs, this is crazy easy to build, Rebar and pipe

V/r HT1

Chazza, Tops and Al2O3 like this.
  6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

My experience exactly.

Chazza and Tops like this.
  7. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Waste-oil fuel; mainly aluminium but making bronze is in the pipe-line.

8. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Nice idea.
    Don't think it will suit me, as my furnace is inside near a corner under the roof vent. Definitely worth considering though.

9. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Thank you Jeff – valuable information.

Can all you oil-burners out there give me your clearance dimensions please?

Cheers Charlie

10. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Define "Near" because putting a furnace in a corner is a bad idea, you need access to Three sides.... well you said A-10 , thats small and changes things up, but you need to be able to easily get to all sides , and of course remember it will be Hot

V/r HT1

Tops likes this.
  11. Petee716

At least 2". My #18 comes in at about 1.75" clearance but I'm only melting aluminum in it so there's some forgiveness there. Bronze and cast iron go in smaller crucibles so I have well over 3" clearance. I try to keep my brim within an inch or 2 of the exhaust hole. (I think there are temperature variations that can exist up and down the bore column and I'm not refined enough to dial that variable in, so I try to make sure I'm at least capturing as much heat as possible).

Pete

Tops likes this.
  12. Tops likes this.
  13. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

My furnace is on the small side, and so far I've only used it for aluminum. I've ordered a #6 crucible and will see if it holds up to melting some brass. If it doesn't it won't be a problem to redo the lid. I need to repost the link. Somehow it only posted half the thread. http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?posts/42019/ Got the whole thread this time but it started in the middle.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  14. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

Here's the lid on my furnace. Best lid design I have come across. I copied the style from a larger McEnglevan educational furnace that I have. I adapted the mechanism to something I could fabricate easily.
    The handle slips on, so it can sit where it's cool. It lifts it slightly to swing out of the way, still facing down keeping searing heat away from your face. Don't have to remove it and place it, doesn't flip open, very simple. The mechanism is super simple. Best if the mechanism and lift bars are a bit loose cause things tighten up when they get hot.

The only downside I have found to it, is if you try to load a piece of scrap that sits too high the lid will catch it trying to close. Usually not a problem.

Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  15. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

can we see a close up of the cam lifting mechanism PLEASE!!!
    Thanks in advance
    V/r HT1

16. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

Here is a more detailed view

HT1, Tobho Mott and Tops like this.
  17. cactusdreams

cactusdreams Copper Banner Member

Here's a lower tech approach that has worked well for me. One pic when it was new and one later on. A lesser lift than the whole thing. But I've cast iron with this furnace. IMG_1977.JPG IMG_0653.JPG

Rocketman and Tops like this.
  18. Chazza

Chazza Silver

Thank you for your posts Rocketman.

I like the design very much and I think I will use it on my furnace,

Cheers Charlie

19. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

I kept mine simple

105-0561_IMG.JPG

hinge.JPG

Chazza and Tops like this.
  20. Petee716

The refractory was basically poured solid using a cottage cheese container to form the 4" vent hole. There's a 1" layer of ceramic fiber insulation on top and covered with sheet steel. There's no wire webbing in there for support, only the curve of the metal provided by the existing rib in the keg. 6 years and 30 heats or so including bronze and cast iron and it's holding up fine. Used mizzou.

Pete

Chazza, Tobho Mott, Rocketman and 2 others like this.