1935 Chevy Motor Mounts

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by oldironfarmer, Oct 2, 2018.

  1. oldironfarmer

    oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

    I have a 1935 Chevy with a 350 engine. The transmission went out so I'm replacing it.

    IMG_4154.JPG

    IMG_4159.JPG

    Pulled the grill and radiator to pull the engine and transmission together.

    IMG_4175.JPG

    The existing motor mounts did not fail but left a lot to be desired. Holes were egged.

    IMG_4198.JPG

    I designed foam mounts, here's a lineup shot.

    IMG_4286.JPG

    Glued and test fit.

    IMG_4289.JPG

    Joints waxed and coated with sheetrock mud.

    IMG_4291.JPG

    In the bucket, getting filled with sand.
    IMG_4293.JPG

    Cleaned up, drilled, and ready to go.

    IMG_4304.JPG

    I didn't account for shrinkage, and there was practically none on the height. If it cools from the bottom up and continues to take metal maybe it doens't shrink much.
    IMG_4300.JPG

    Re marked the ends of the cylinders for engine bolts and drilled hole from center punch front to center punch back. Used a lineup pin

    IMG_4301.JPG

    And aligned it with the drill bit then sat the center punch on the pin.

    IMG_4303.JPG

    The mounting bolts are pretty parallel even though the cylinders aren't.
    IMG_4306.JPG
     
    Jason, Rtsquirrel and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. Al2O3

    Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

    Those look good Andy. Was the metal alloy known and any post treatment or as cast? Did I spy a third pattern (maybe accessory mount of some sort) not discussed :)

    Best,
    Kelly
     
  3. PatJ

    PatJ Silver Banner Member

    That is some nice looking foam work, and the parts look like they turned out well.
     
  4. oldironfarmer

    oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

    Thanks! The metal was ingots I cast from previously cast engine parts and other castings, but primarily engine parts. I pulled them out of the sand as soon as I could without hot tearing and sprayed with water. They drill like a dream.

    I had failed pouring a trivet some months back using cast material. I poured to cold and was concerned about these pours. I had a lot of work making and fititng the patterns and did not want to fail so the third pattern was just some scrap I picked up to make a test piece. When it came out complete I went ahead and cast the real patterns, without failure.

    Thanks! I'm learning more every pour, especially with foam patterns. One mistake on this pour were areas with too much wax. It does not burn out as well as foam and crated some shallow voids. They're shallow and can stay but unsightly.
     
  5. Jammer

    Jammer Moderator Staff Member Banner Member

  6. oldironfarmer

    oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

    Thanks for the link, some interesting stuff.

    I have urethane motor mounts so I have to install a heat shield but I was unaware of the low temperatures aluminum can be affected so I'll make sure my heat shield is large enough to protect the motor mount brackets too.

    Thanks again!
     
  7. oldironfarmer

    oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

    I filed and etched the test piece I poured to check for porosity. I was a little surprised.

    IMG_4312.JPG

    The lye turns the aluminum black so the pits show out, and also the file marks from aluminum stuck in the file. This piece looked clean before etching.
     
  8. Al2O3

    Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

    What kind of wax are you using OIF, and how are you applying it?

    Best,
    Kelly
     
  9. oldironfarmer

    oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

    I've been using half and half toilet ring wax and paraffin. Applying it hot with a small brush. It seals the seals very nicely.
     
  10. Al2O3

    Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

    The reason I ask, as you may have previously read, I use Freeman fillet wax and that stuff is great to apply with heated fillet tools and has been burning out without a trace on my lost foam castings. In fact, when I put a torch to the stuff, I cant get it to light....it just vaporizes which may be why it works so well for detailing lost foam patterns. I'm not certain what you consider a lot of wax, but the fillet and embossment work on my water necks and manifolds I'd consider to be a lot of wax. I've discussed it here several times and if you search wax fillet, you'll get a few hits.

    Best,
    Kelly
     
  11. oldironfarmer

    oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

    Thanks! I was hoping you'd elaborate.
     
  12. Jason

    Jason Silver Banner Member

    Nice work and elegant design. Should work fine.
     
  13. oldironfarmer

    oldironfarmer Silver Banner Member

    Thanks! Engine is in and it all seems to fit well.

    IMG_4365.JPG

    Heat shield was pretty simple.

    IMG_4412.JPG

    IMG_4418.JPG
     

Share This Page