1st Set of Foundry Tools Question

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Ryan, May 10, 2019.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

With My New Furnace I will be able to run A30. But I think Im going to Run A 25, but not go dangerously full like I do with the A16

V/r HT1

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

You Know your Body Develops a temporary immunity to Metal Fume Fever? That is Why in foundry's it's often referred to as Monday Fever. if I pour on Friday, Saturday and Sunday I dont even notice. I drink Milk if I need to, and No I wont wear a respirator outside in Florida, between the Heat and Freaking out the Neighbors it would be bad .

3. I did not know that about MFF. It could make neighbors think there was something dangerous in the air.:eek::eek::eek:

So glad I have no neighbors.:rolleyes:

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What size crucible did you purchase, what metals do you plan to melt and cast, and have you started your furnace build yet?

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/the-furnace-thread.276/

Best,
    Kelly

5. Ryan

Ryan Lead

Thanks, this was helpful to watch. Really appreciated the comment!

6. Ryan

Ryan Lead

I got a #10 clay-graphite crucible to begin with but my furnace is sized to take up to an #18. Initially I am going to be casting aluminum for the obvious ease of temperature and density. But eventually I have a few projects ahead in brass, bronze, and copper to try as well. My larger pour projects are all aluminum for the moment, never say never though.

As far as my foundry goes. I built it out of a 55 gallon drum cut down to height and tried after some exhaustive research I tried to amass the best ideas for construction from a few videos I will put below. Its essentially complete at the moment (pic below), I need to make some modifications to the mechanism to lift the lid (ran out of welding gas on Saturday with 2 welds left to go... figures) Damn you welding gods!!!!. But its has refractory brick incased in castable refractory at the base for stability and kaowool insulation for the lid and cylinder with additional refractory pored into some molds I made for the final form encasing the ceramic blankets. No fibers in these lungs! Should be a beast, finger crossed

Hopefully, the weather is clear this Saturday I plan to finish the build, do my first fire on the foundry and temper my crucible before the 1st melt either Sunday or the weekend after.

This guy has a great concept and I had a nice metal dolly already sitting around that was nearly a perfect foundation for a 55 gallon drum on craigslist. Functionally mine should work the same as this guys I even included the trough and drain plug in case of a crucible failure.

I find Paul's Garage hilarious and he talks you through alot of his designs and most importantly mistakes, where I have found the most useful learning from.

Burner is an Oliver-Upwind type propane burner
    http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/oliverburner1.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Furnace looks good Ryan. Good to hear you have some insulating fire brick and wool in the build. There is a trade between mass and durability. For hobby furnaces lower mass means quicker time to first melt and less fuel consumption. Happen to recall how many pounds of dense castable was used in your build?

It's just jargon but a foundry is a place where you keep all your metal casting equipment, and your furnace is one piece of that equipment. If you haven't already, you might look over the foundry manual over at AA.

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?2469-Foundry-Tutorial-Book

Besides a glossary of terms, there is a lot of very practical and useful information for casting enthusiasts. Welcome to the forum.

Best,
    Kelly

8. Ryan

Ryan Lead

Thanks Kelly, I could yack your ear off about processing of wrought aluminum but the casting side of things has a language all its own so it seems. Plinth, riser, gate, sprue, cope, drag... still learning and I appreciate the education. Thanks for the link, it'll definitely read that