3D printed match plate.

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by DavidF, Oct 23, 2020.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Again just trying to make my life a bit easier.
    What I'm looking to do is start using either resin bound sand or sodium silicate with catalyst for making molds and get away from petrobond and green sand.
    The small flask will be cast in aluminum prior to going into service.
    20201023_135754.jpg 20201023_135824.jpg

2. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I am thinking about doing a match plate on a 3D printed urethane. My plates look like this. I have hand made everything so far to do this and it's time consuming. If I break a pattern it takes a couple days to remake.

Attached Files:

3. BattyZ

BattyZ Silver Banner Member

Snapchat-966743602.jpg Snapchat-535966738.jpg Snapchat-954806884.jpg
    This is from a couple of years ago. The main gantry casting for my CNC Router named "Effer". This was his third upgrade. 3d printed in 4 parts, superglued together, sodium silicate sand cast.

John Homer and Tobho Mott like this.
  4. 3Dcasting

3Dcasting Copper

For a moment I thought you were going to cast a flask and matchplate in one piece to produce resin bonded sand molds out of... could work... I've seen resin bound sand molds used without flasks...

John Homer likes this.
  5. Nice work!

How many of those do you need to make? It sounds like you are needing a die for a production run.

How much per part will you have in resin bound sand?

John Homer likes this.
  6. John Homer

John Homer Silver

I would like to produce around 300 sets to start with and go from there.
    I am using petrobond sand with a match plate. Can you explain what a die is and how these are made?

Attached Files:

7. Well, I was referring to David's post.

A die is a metal mold, as in die casting. The metal, usually low melting temperature like lead or zinc, is poured into a hot steel or stainless steel mold and ejected as soon as it is solidified so another may be poured. Often this is done under pressure, injection molding.

I would think for what you're making you would want a sand casting to replicate the finish of the original parts but I may not understand.

Those look like oar locks. Do they pour ok? They would benefit from tilting the flask down on the runner side. It would be worth your while to shave the runner off in steps to accommodate the loss of flow out of each gate.

John Homer likes this.
  8. John Homer

John Homer Silver

Yes they are. Still working on it.