3D Printed Pattern and Core Box

Discussion in 'Pattern making' started by FKreider, Jul 8, 2019.

1. FKreider

FKreider Copper

Thought I'd share a pattern and core box that I've been working on (slowly) over the past 6 weeks or so. It is a decorative dome/cover for the safety valves on a 7 1/4" gauge live steam locomotive. The original part was too small for the boiler (as it was built) so a slightly larger casting is needed. The complicated part was the fact that the boiler on this particular engine is angled so the curves are different on the "front" and "back" sides of the dome. This proved to be quite difficult to draw in fusion 360.

This will be cast in yellow brass, hopefully in the next week or two.

image2 (1).jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image4.jpeg image12.jpeg

HotRodTractor, dtsh, _Jason and 2 others like this.
  2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks great! Cant wait to see the casting :D

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Looks like a very fine pattern. Lovely finish and curves.

The core will be green sand?

Denis

4. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Nice work with all those curves.
    Tricky stuff.

5. FKreider

FKreider Copper

Just realized I never followed up on here with pictures of the casting.

Here it is right after cleaning up with files and sandpaper:
    [​IMG]

Part way through machining (picture and machining by customer):
    [​IMG]

Polished up and on the customer's locomotive: (note the engine is not yet complete, there will be painted shrouds covering the steam lines that come out the sides of the dome.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Very fine work! Handsome.

Denis

7. Beautiful! What did you paint the pattern with? And what did you use for the registration pins? Thanks

8. FKreider

FKreider Copper

Thanks!

I get the finish by using layers of 2-in-1 filler primer spray paint and bondo spot putty. Its very time consuming as I typically wait a day between every layer but its necessary in order to get a good surface finish on the casting.

I order dowel pins from McMAsterCarr in the sizes that I need and that is what I use for index pins. The holes are printed right into the pattern and if you do your design math right they are a press fit in one side. ;)

David McCauley likes this.
  9. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Fine looking P-51 Mustang wing in the background! Somebody likes flying RC airplanes! Nice job on the casting!

10. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

What scale is the loco ......nice

11. Oldarm

Oldarm Silver

Oh boy! The dedication. Greatly admired.

12. FKreider

FKreider Copper

7.25" gauge I believe it is 1.5" scale.

Sawyer massey likes this.
  13. Chris C

Chris C Lead

Hey Frank. I feel your pain trying to draw a complicated piece like this to suit your boiler. I've found that drawing the boiler as well as the chimney works best in this situation. I simply use a boolean "subtract" operation to remove the boiler portion of the chimney and voila instant perfect tapered compound curve on the underside of your chimney.

I hope I explained it correctly. LOL

Chris

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  14. FKreider

FKreider Copper

Hi Chris,

That is exactly how I drew the dome in fusion with regards to drawing the boiler in. The complicated part was the fact that I was reverse engineering the original dome casting which was too small and I didn't have access to the actual locomotive or boiler as it was at the customers shop half way across the country. It all worked on in the end and the dome and locomotive came out beautiful!