5 gallon barrel?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by The Desert Yeti, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Hey,
    I'm looking for a 5 gallon barrel with a bung hole. While there seems to be a market for 55 gal barrels or occasionally smaller 30 or 20 gal barrel on offerup and craigslist . But it seems that there isn't a market for the 5 gal ones ( because they either don't think to sell or isn't worth it for them). I know that some places just through them out cause no one uses the empties[​IMG]
    I'm looking for any ideas of places that specifically have them. Normally they have some chemicals in them, I don't care as long it isn't too nasty. I've tried to cruise through the industrial parks and stuff but no avail. I am outsourcing to the greater mind of community
    Thanks in advance
    Yeti

2. rocco

rocco Silver

A friend of mine used to get racing fuel in those so maybe check with some of the guys in the pits of your local race track.

[​IMG]

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Try an automotive paint and supply store.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

And I JUST through one of those out 3 weeks ago... :rolleyes: I get isopropyl alcohol in them. Costs me about 120bucks. The alcohol has 1001 uses for us. It's great for cleaning jet engines to wiping down the lathe. Any aviation parts supply house in phoenix will sell you a can.

5. rocco

rocco Silver

$120 for 5 gallons, you're getting robbed! I pay $17 Cdn for 5 liter jug of 99% IPA which would work out to about $10 USD per US gallon. But you right, that stuff's definitely got 1001 uses.

6. Jason

Jason Gold

"Aviation supply house" It is what it is.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I've seen Kerosene sold in the farm/fleet/thrift stores in those 5-gal steel cans. You could burn the kero in a furnace made from the can it came in.

Best,
    Kelly

Petee716 and The Desert Yeti like this.
  8. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Try your local mom and pop copy shop or small printer. We get our solvent in them and throw them out routinely. Kinkos probably wont give you anything so go private. Bigger outfits get 55 gal drums but little guys like me use the 5s.

9. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

And, for the record, I wouldn't consider the opening in the tops of those as "bungs". The threads in a larger barrel are always U.S tapered pipe threads. The threads in those 5-gal cans are for the screw-on caps. If you're looking for a 5-gal. with pipe threads, I think you're outta luck.

Roger

10. rocco

rocco Silver

By definition, a bung is any type of stopper that closes a hole in a container but you're right about the pipe thread, they're not standard on any type of commonly available 5 gallon container that I'm aware of.

11. Great Relies! Thanks for the help, I'll update when and where I find one.